(solved) missing context menu items

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

(solved) missing context menu items

Post by MrGrimm » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:50 pm

i've been meaning to comment on this for a while now. why is it that when you hide the desktop icons you lose almost everything in the desktop context menu? there are several things that should always be there rather the icons are or aren't showing. any chance in future updates of getting this addressed?
Last edited by MrGrimm on Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: missing context menu items

Post by kyphi » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:59 pm

There are several right click context menus that will appear depending on what you click on.

1. If I click on a directory my context menu extends to 20 entries.
2. If I click on a file my context menu extends to 17 entries (3 of these are due to an optional plug-in).
3. If I click on a white space my context menu extends to 9 entries.

There is also the option of "showing fewer or more items" in the top right of the first two listed context menus (+ or -).

The context menus are the same whether desktop icons are hidden or displayed.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - 64bit

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:50 pm

kyphi wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:59 pm
There are several right click context menus that will appear depending on what you click on.

1. If I click on a directory my context menu extends to 20 entries.
2. If I click on a file my context menu extends to 17 entries (3 of these are due to an optional plug-in).
3. If I click on a white space my context menu extends to 9 entries.

There is also the option of "showing fewer or more items" in the top right of the first two listed context menus (+ or -).

The context menus are the same whether desktop icons are hidden or displayed.
please learn to read. i am talking about the rightclick menu when you click the desktop, and i said as much.

"The context menus are the same whether desktop icons are hidden or displayed."

no it is not.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:57 pm

with desktop icons hidden: add desklets, change desktop background i, desktop settings

with desktop icons showing: create new folder, create new document, add desklets, change desktop background, desktop settings, create a new launcher here, open in terminal, open as root, desktop

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:50 pm

On all my computers running Linux Mint, the context right click menu is the same whether desktop icons are hidden or shown ... and you forgot "Paste".

The problem appears to be confined to your installation. This can easily be checked by running a live medium of Linux Mint other than the one used to install your system.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - 64bit

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:17 am

who the f cares if i forgot paste, as for the menu items i'm betting it's the same for everyone.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:51 am

kyphi wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:50 pm
The problem appears to be confined to your installation. This can easily be checked by running a live medium of Linux Mint other than the one used to install your system.
MrGrimm is correct - in Cinnamon if you chose to disable desktop icons on particular monitor the right click context menu hides the options related to desktop icons or which require desktop icons to function.

@MrGrimm - the missing ones are those that won't work with desktop icons disabled. You can't create a folder, make a launcher etc if you can't display an icon for the item. If there are no icons there's nothing to copy / cut or paste, open as root or be able to open as a location in a terminal. Basically toggling the option stops the desktop being an extension of your Desktop folder in Nemo.

You can add useful additional shortcuts to the context menu (and any nemo context menu) via nemo actions. Visit ~/.local/share/nemo/actions in nemo and click on the More info link in the header bar to see how they work.

E.g. I've added some workspace specific shortcuts to mine, but you could toggle icons on and off, toggle the desktop background slideshow etc etc...

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:05 am

smurphos thanks, and thanks for the info. while i appreciate it i shouldn't have to have a additional icon just to have those features when i hide the desktop icons. of the items that are missing when one rightclicks the desktop with the icons hidden "create launcher here" is the one that should always be there, it also should be available in folders. rather one is running linux, windows, osx, etc... the ability to create a shortcut / launcher should be the same.maybe in future updates the mint team can correct these oversights. maybe also in future updates they can add add to other location to the rightclick menu of the items on the startmenu items.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:34 pm

of the items that are missing when one rightclicks the desktop with the icons hidden "create launcher here" is the one that should always be there
No it shouldn't. A launcher would be a desktop icon. You chose to shut them off so the option isn't going to be there. There is nothing that needs to be fixed in this case.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:31 pm

MrGrimm wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:05 am
smurphos thanks, and thanks for the info. while i appreciate it i shouldn't have to have a additional icon just to have those features when i hide the desktop icons.
Not quite sure what you mean by an additional icon? I'm guessing you don't want the system icons, but do want the options to have your own custom launchers? If so then just set it up like this

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:49 pm

JosephM wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:34 pm
of the items that are missing when one rightclicks the desktop with the icons hidden "create launcher here" is the one that should always be there
No it shouldn't. A launcher would be a desktop icon. You chose to shut them off so the option isn't going to be there. There is nothing that needs to be fixed in this case.
YES IT SHOULD

a launcher is JUST a shortcut, so YES you should be able to rightclick in ANY folder to create a shortcut / launcher. it's handy if you have the deskyop icons hidden, so you don't have to unhide the icons, create your launcher, and THEN move it where you really want it. why should one use 3 steps(unhide desktop icons, create launcher, the move it where you want it), when you can do it in 1 step(rightclick in your folder and create launcher)?

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:55 pm

smurphos wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:31 pm
MrGrimm wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:05 am
smurphos thanks, and thanks for the info. while i appreciate it i shouldn't have to have a additional icon just to have those features when i hide the desktop icons.
Not quite sure what you mean by an additional icon? I'm guessing you don't want the system icons, but do want the options to have your own custom launchers? If so then just set it up like this

i'll give your tweak a run, thanks

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:11 am

MrGrimm wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:49 pm
a launcher is JUST a shortcut, so YES you should be able to rightclick in ANY folder to create a shortcut / launcher.
Copy /usr/share/nemo/actions/new-launcher.nemo_action to ~/.local/share/nemo/actions/new-launcher.nemo_action.

Open the local copy in a text editor and comment out the line Conditions=desktop; i.e change it to #Conditions=desktop;. Save.

You should have the Create launcher here context item in any Nemo folder.

By the way Launchers aren't directly equivalent to Windows shortcuts.

Launchers are desktop files - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/desktop_entries - they do a lot more than act as shortcuts depending on where they are in the filesystem.

Unix based OS's also have Symbolic links aka symlinks - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link

The latter are generally more useful in the wider folder structure and they take up less space. In Nemo the 'make link' context menu item creates them or you can hold the Alt key whilst dragging between panes to create them. You can symlink to a desktop file in one of the default desktop file locations....

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:42 am

smurphos thanks for that,worked like a charm, thanks again.

things you might want to know about symlinks. they are not movable half the time without breaking, they can take a very long time to be usable on a reboot if they link to items on a external drive, as for the difference in size i didn't create a symlinks to check it's size, but the average launcher size is under 5kb. that is tiny.
Last edited by MrGrimm on Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Re: (solved) missing context menu items

Post by smurphos » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:00 am

Mmm I don't have any problem with them or moving them around, all my standard home folders are symlinks to an external drive. It's mounted via /etc/fstab so that probably helps. Anyway horses for courses, use which ever works best for you.

Return to “Cinnamon”