Possible to copy Cinnamon??

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Possible to copy Cinnamon??

Post by SilverFox66 »

I just upgraded 3 machines to Mint 18.3, running Cinnamon 3.6.7 and nemo 3.6.5. I setup one machine exactly how I want it (Cinnamon settings/themes etc...). I was wondering if there is a way to copy the Cinnamon setting/folder from that machine, to the other 2 machines... so I dont have to go through the same long process of setting them up, to match the first machine?

I thought I had read something about this before, but after a long search and a lot of reading, have not been able to find anything. Thanks for any help :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Possible to copy Cinnamon??

Post by JerryF »

One solution is to use Clonezilla. I personally don't care for it, but many others on the forum use it.

I think you can use Disks that's built-in to create an image and then restore that image. Use a live USB/DVD drive to perform this.
Shutter_047.jpg
Last edited by JerryF on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilverFox66 »

I could use Disks to do that, yes. But I dont want to clone/image an entire drive/partition. I simply want to copy my Cinnamon folder/settings (not sure what it would entail) from one machine to the next, if possible.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Hi,

I think this should do it. Not tested in full.

Copy the following folders from the master /home to to the target /home

~/.local/share/cinnamon
~/.cinnamon
~/.local/share/nemo
~/.config/nemo
~/.config/gtk-3.0
~/Desktop
~/.themes
~/.icons
~/.local/share/applications
~/.config/menus
~/.config/autostart

Finally on the master run dconf dump /org/cinnamon/ > cinnamon_dconf and dconf dump /org/nemo/ > nemo_dconf

Move the settings backups produced to the target.

On the target run dconf load /org/cinnamon/ < cinnamon_dconf and dconf load /org/nemo/ < nemo_dconf from the folder you have the backups in. Reboot the target.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilverFox66 »

smurphos wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:40 am Hi,

I think this should do it. Not tested in full.

Copy the following folders from the master /home to to the target /home

~/.local/share/cinnamon
~/.cinnamon
~/.local/share/nemo
~/.config/nemo
~/.config/gtk-3.0
~/Desktop
~/.themes
~/.icons
~/.local/share/applications
~/.config/menus
~/.config/autostart

Finally on the master run dconf dump /org/cinnamon/ > cinnamon_dconf and dconf dump /org/nemo/ > nemo_dconf

Move the settings backups produced to the target.

On the target run dconf load /org/cinnamon/ < cinnamon_dconf and dconf load /org/nemo/ < nemo_dconf from the folder you have the backups in. Reboot the target.
Thank you! I will try this later today when I have more time :D
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Aptik can do that for you. Install it from Terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install aptik
sudo apt-get install aptik-gtk
It's made to backup all your settings so that you can restore them to another computer.

You will need to install Aptik on each computer to do the restore. I would suggest using the Advanced option.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

JerryF wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:12 pm Sorry, I misunderstood.

Aptik can do that for you. Install it from Terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install aptik
sudo apt-get install aptik-gtk
I have used Aptik to clone my Cinnamon settings to 3 other PCs, all different hardware.
works like a champ.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilverFox66 »

Thank you JerryF and AZgl. I got Aptik installed, and chose to back up icons, fonts and themes. I then transferred those backups to another system, installed Aptik on that system, and restored the icons, fonts and themes. I logged out, and logged back in.... but nothing has changed. Its like it backed up the actual icons/fonts/themes, but didnt change the actual "settings" as to which ones were set as default etc...
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

If you are using Aptik for this you'll need to use it's dconf backup and restore option aswell.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilverFox66 »

I have now backed up icons/fonts/themes/dconf, and restored them to the target machine, with no change whatsoever.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Which option did you use? Easy, Advanced, or Expert?

Most settings for apps are located in hidden files (they start with a period) and are located in /home/<user> directory so you'd need to backup and restore those too.
SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilverFox66 »

I used "expert". This is turning into more of a hassle than its worth. If I knew exactly what needed copied, I would have no use for a program to do it, and could have just copied what was needed, to the other machines. Thanks for all the help, but I gave up and did everything manually on the other 2 systems.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Sorry to hear that Aptik didn't work out for you.

I just tried a backup and restore (using the Easy mode) in a virtual machine installation. All I get is a blank screen after doing the restore and then rebooting.

:?
SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilverFox66 »

JerryF wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:56 pm Sorry to hear that Aptik didn't work out for you.

I just tried a backup and restore (using the Easy mode) in a virtual machine installation. All I get is a blank screen after doing the restore and then rebooting.

Sorry you encountered that on my behalf
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

SilverFox66 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:11 pm
JerryF wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:56 pm Sorry to hear that Aptik didn't work out for you.

Sorry you encountered that on my behalf
Thanks for your concern. It's not an issue. I have Mint installed also as a virtual machine so that I can test things. Yours was a good test. I'm looking into why I keep getting a blank screen after an Aptik restore.

:D

Return to “Cinnamon”