Belgian keyboard not working in LM19

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amuls

Belgian keyboard not working in LM19

Post by amuls »

Hi All

This is my first post to Linux Mint forum since I just passed over last Friday coming from Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (using Ubuntu since 2006 or so).

I am disatisfied with the plain gnome of Ubuntu 18.04 and tried out Linux Mint Cinnamon (19 based on Ubuntu) after having reviewed some on-line docs. The interface is much more logical and with my Ubuntu experience I had no trouble in getting everything working at my taste. Or almost everything. I often have to write in dutch and french, so I need characters combining the ¨ with e (or other such combinations). In Ubuntu I had no problem if I selected the "Belgian" keyboard, so I selected this one as well during LM installation. But now I get 2 separate characters which is not what I want. I tried out all alternate Belgian (and even French) keyboards but in vain.

Can someone show me howto get this right?

Tx/Alain
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
amuls

Re: Belgian keyboard not working in LM19

Post by amuls »

Hi All,

I found the solution. In file /etc/profile.d/input-method-config.sh remove the comment # before export XMODIFIERS, restart and have a keyboard with correct usage of dead keys

bye/Alain
igorviniciusrt

Re: Belgian keyboard not working in LM19

Post by igorviniciusrt »

Hello! I got the same native xorg dead key/compose issue using pt_BR (brazilian portuguese) keyboard language.

What did I do: Just remove the file ~/.xinputrc and the trouble ends.

This file sets XMODIFIERS variable. Going this way we do not need to change X11 code files.

Nice day!

Igor

Return to “Cinnamon”