[SOLVED] Notification sources in Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jclausius

[SOLVED] Notification sources in Cinnamon

Post by jclausius »

Is there a list of sources for notifications? I am using LM 19 (Cinnamon 3.8.9). I can see through "System Settings" I am able to enable/disable the notifications, change the option to remove a notification after a timeout, but I am stuck on this one issue...

Every so often I get a notification from anandtech.com about an article of some review or release of hardware. I do not recall having ever added this to notification, and would like to remove it. However, I cannot find a list of sources which can spark notifications.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jclausius

Re: Notification sources in Cinnamon

Post by jclausius »

OK. Problem solved. The source of the notification is from a running process, so you first need to identify that.

Since I was getting anandtech.com review articles, I started with Firefox. It appears within Firefox I had at one time (although I do not recall doing so), enabled "Push" Notifications from the anandtech.com web site.

To remove it, within Firefox, you go to the site pushing the content, in the URL bar, click the little "information" icon (which for me is on the left of the URL), and then on the expanded menu, click to Remove the Notifications" setting.

Hopefully this post helps someone out who may be encountering the same issue.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

I'm suspecting that the notification from the website is not being generated via Cinnamon, but from whatever web browser you may be using.

For example, in Firefox, from the upper-right menu button...

Options > Privacy & Security > Permissions > Notifications > Settings

EDIT: You beat me to the solution. :)

Joe
jclausius

Post by jclausius »

Yeah... I'm glad I found the issue as it had been annoying me for the past previous weeks. Your way is a lot easier/cleaner in that one can see the entire list. Thanks for the follow-up.
JoeFootball wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:58 pm I'm suspecting that the notification from the website is not being generated via Cinnamon, but from whatever web browser you may be using.

For example, in Firefox, from the upper-right menu button...
Options > Privacy & Security > Permissions > Notifications > Settings

Joe

Return to “Cinnamon”