Mint 19 login background fix

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
triode
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 19 login background fix

Post by triode »

After creating a new Mint 19 install, and updating, my background image that I choose also became the login background image.
This was fine.

I installed komorebi-2.1-64-bit.deb thinking I wanted a animated background, but right after I installed it, I removed it
(e.g. I installed it with sudo dpkg -i komorebi-2.1-64-bit.deb and I removed it with sudo dpkg --remove komorebi)....

Now, the issue is that the login background to cinnamon is the default linux mint background and not my chosen background.

I have performed the following actions:

Tried to change to other backgrounds, which works, but does not change the login background.
Tied to STFW for the answer, but this always brings up Mint 18, and the backgrounds dir which they reference does not exist.
Change the background and restart X, which does not work.
Change themes, which does not work (default is Mint-x)

Does anyone know what I need to reinstall or modify to change the login background to be the same as the desktop background? Again,
I am running mint 19 with cinnamon, 64bit.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
triode
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 19 login background fix

Post by triode »

Solved,

There was another post about this, but I thought it changed in mint 18. The login window image is taken from

/usr/share/backgrounds/default_background.jpg

Either open a terminal and drop your image there and change the symbolic link (which is what default_background.jpg is)
or drop your image there and then go to Menu->Admin->Login Window and choose the background there that you added.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Mint 19 login background fix

Post by smurphos »

User backgrounds must be in a location and with permissions so they are readable by the Other group which is probably the issue you are having. You shouldn't have to mess around with the default background.Just the permissions of the files you want to use.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Cinnamon”