Cinnamon 4.0: Edit Launcher Properties [SOLVED]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Cinnamon 4.0: Edit Launcher Properties [SOLVED]

Post by JoeFootball »

Trying out Cinnamon 4.0 on LM 19.1 Beta. I know the panel is new for this release, but I can't find how to edit a launcher's properties.

For example, in Cinnamon 3.8.9, I can right-click on a launcher, and a menu is displayed with an Edit option...

...allowing me to edit the properties of that launcher. But in Cinnamon 4.0 on LM 19.1 Beta, no such Edit option is available. Is this governed elsewhere as of 4.0?

I know that bugs for LM 19.1 Beta are to be submitted on Github, but I wanted to air this here first in the likely case that I'm missing the obvious. :oops:

Joe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
philotux

Re: Cinnamon 4.0: Edit Launcher Properties

Post by philotux »

Hi JoeFootball,

I don't run 19.1 beta, but maybe this is still working: Right-click on the menu icon and choose "configure...", under the "menu" tab: open the menu editor. In the left pane mark the category and in the right pane mark the app and click properties.
redlined

Post by redlined »

hi JoeFootball!

That right click function is very convenient! and it doesn't make sense to me they intentionally removed it... I'm thinking best served would be a comment on the beta release announcement page https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3661 would be better served than filing a beta bug at github.. At least a mention to see if it was intentional would get Clem to respond one way or the other and you'll quickly notice how responsive he is in them 169 (as of now) comments, and may find this function has been addressed as well. Hope this gets sorted, I like that level of right click convenience wherever it is found!
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

philotux wrote:Right-click on the menu icon and choose "configure...", under the "menu" tab: open the menu editor. In the left pane mark the category and in the right pane mark the app and click properties.
Thanks for your reply. Not immediately seeing that in Cinnamon 4.0.6. I'll hunt around for that though.

Joe
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

redlined wrote:I'm thinking best served would be a comment on the beta release announcement page would be better served than filing a beta bug at github.
Thanks, that's not a bad idea. It would be good to get confirmation from an authority (Clem) before escalating to Github.

Joe
philotux

Post by philotux »

In the meantime, if you don't find a way to edit the launchers, and if you don't mind installing another piece of software, so "menulibre" can come handy. It's in the repos.
redlined

Post by redlined »

JoeFootball wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:55 pm
redlined wrote:I'm thinking best served would be a comment on the beta release announcement page would be better served than filing a beta bug at github.
Thanks, that's not a bad idea. It would be good to get confirmation from an authority (Clem) before escalating to Github.

Joe
hi Joe!

I'm about to reboot this newly upgraded to beta system :mrgreen: so was reading all them comments I suggested to you and think I see something that may suggests right-click menu was rearranged- but didn't see any mention of the missing edit choice. I'll see if I can find it after this reboot to get 19.1 loaded, been itching to do this anyways :D
redlined

Post by redlined »

hi again Joe, happily I have installed 19.1 beta, sadly I have the right-click edit available for launchers on panel :?

Code: Select all

anyuser@f023:~$ inxi -v1
System:
  Host: f023 Kernel: 4.15.0-42-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.5 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa 
CPU:
  Quad Core: Intel Celeron N2920 type: MCP speed: 533 MHz 
  min/max: 533/2000 MHz 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display 
  driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail v: 4.2 Mesa 18.0.5 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.82 TiB used: 74.18 GiB (4.0%) 
Info:
  Processes: 216 Uptime: 26m Memory: 7.69 GiB used: 1.39 GiB (18.1%) 
  Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.27 
Screenshot from 2018-12-11 12-49-34.png
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

You are probably trying to to edit pinned apps in the new Grouped Windows List applet rather than launchers.

Modern layout - Grouped Windows List replaces Windows List and Panel launchers.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
redlined

Post by redlined »

smurphos wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:59 pm You are probably trying to to edit pinned apps in the new Grouped Windows List applet rather than launchers.

Modern layout - Grouped Windows List replaces Windows List and Panel launchers.
hi smurphos! I was reading about that modern layout (and option to easily return to 'way it was'), I don't see it though perhaps because I did upgrade versus new install for 19.1 beta?

That screenshot was right-click file manager launcher, but looks the same for terminal and FF launcher which is what JoeFootball seemed to be missing edit option where I am not. I'd switch it to modern layout to check if the edit option disappears, but the question remains- is this intended? and if so, how then to go about edit of launchers (or pinned apps) on panel?

edit to add: found method to change to modern/traditional through Welcome screen> First steps> Desktop layout, brb...
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Yes it is intended. The modern layout has a different set of default applets to the traditional layout, the major difference being as outlined the new Grouped Window list applet replacing both Panel Launchers and rhe Window List applet.

The icons might look the same but they are not launchers, they are Pinned apps.....

The two layouts are just different sets of default setting ultimately. Nothing stopping a user having the grouped window list with no pinned apps and labels enabled, along with traditional panel launchers.
Last edited by smurphos on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
redlined

Post by redlined »

ok, it appears that modern layout is indeed the culprit to switch between modern and traditional see: Welcome screen> First steps> Desktop layout, select one of the two representative pictures and give it a moment as Cinnamon reloads (interestingly Ctrl+Alt+Esc doesn't cause a big screen wipe then redraw, have done it a couple times now and it doesn't do that anymore)..

Question remains, is this edit launchers (in Group Windows) by right-click missing from modern layout by design or is it that unintended and can/will be put back... Otherwise how to edit. lol... commandline in terminal? use menu edit as suggested by philotux this thread? or other new feature in system settings? a couple LM19.1 beta users need to know :mrgreen:

edit to include response to smurphos posted right before mine: Since it is intended, as they are now pinned apps, how to edit the pinned app(s) now? (thanks smurphos 8)

edit to add: hi again Joe, I tried to reply in announce thread but it disappears then tells me already a comment. Not sure what is going on there, but wanted to let you know what was intended as reply there:
hi Joe, I think we just sorted this out in LM forum, basically it is by design for the Modern layout. Although I am still unsure how to edit the Pinned Apps in this new Grouped Windows feature (perhaps menu editor??)

Edit function is still in right-click menu for launchers and either add launchers back to panel (can remove the Pinned apps in panel edit) or switch to Traditional layout, which does still have the edit option (and launchers get put back in place of grouped windwos and pinned apps.

To switch between modern and traditional layout see: Welcome screen> First steps> Desktop layout, select one of the two representative pictures and give it a moment as Cinnamon reloads
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

redlined wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:34 pm edit to include response to smurphos posted right before mine: Since it is intended, as they are now pinned apps, how to edit the pinned app(s) now? (thanks smurphos 8)
You can right-click on any pinned app to unpin, right click on any open unpinned app in the grouped window list to pin. If there are no active panel launcher applets add to panel from the menu will add as a pinned app to the Grouped Window List.

You can't edit the launch command of a pinned app. But if you need that functionality you can just add a panel launcher applet - it's still in the add to panel dialog. That may be something that could be requested as a feature request for the Grouped Window List - at this stage that will likely be for Cinnamon 4.2 / Mint 19.2.

You can however create a additional menu entry for an existing app with a customised launch command and pin that to the panel via add to panel. As it stands these don't group - when run a separate icon will be added for that app so the modified pinned app basically acts as a panel launcher. That could be regarded as a bug in the grouped window list :wink: but I think its more likely a technical limitation.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

smurphos wrote:You are probably trying to to edit pinned apps in the new Grouped Windows List applet rather than launchers. ... Modern layout - Grouped Windows List replaces Windows List and Panel launchers.
smurphos wrote:The icons might look the same but they are not launchers, they are Pinned apps.....
That's it! Ah, devious pinned apps masquerading as launchers. So clever. :wink:

Thanks!

Joe
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

redlined wrote:hi again Joe, happily I have installed 19.1 beta, sadly I have the right-click edit available for launchers on panel :?
Thanks for your detective efforts!

Joe
ppoteete
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon 4.0: Edit Launcher Properties [SOLVED]

Post by ppoteete »

Thank you for everyone's work on these issues!

In the future release, could we please change "traditional" to "default" and offer "modern" for users who want to use an interface other than cinnamon?

In my opinion, the Modern interface has no place in Cinnamon.

The "modern" interface is difficult to use and loses basic functionality for visual application identification (small summary in panel), icon quick-launch placement, and application launching becomes a huge burden. I launch applications repeatedly from the quick-launch 100's of times per day, and the new "cycle" option is an unfortunate modification. The "cycle" option becomes additionally problematic when running two monitors (4k and 1k). This causes the terminal or nemo to activate in the other monitor rather than spawn an new instance.

Quick Summary of my current issues with the "Modern look":
Panel Quick-Launch icons are difficult to drag-drop.
Quick-Launch (group) icons do not perform as traditionally expected.
Missing Application Summary in each instance of a running application is a massive burden for anyone running more than 1 instance of an app.

System: Host: oasysfoo Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.9 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] driver: nvidia v: 415.27
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nvidia unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa
resolution: 1280x1024~75Hz, 3840x2160~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 415.27

Linux Enthusiast since Kernel version .95a
Exclusive Linux Desktop User since 2000, Linux/Minix user since 1992-3.
Prof. Paul
To my students: Thank you for allowing me to play a minor role in your amazing success.

Return to “Cinnamon”