How to fully set a theme (including task bar settings)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yo_smitty

How to fully set a theme (including task bar settings)

Post by yo_smitty »

Hi there,

So I've downloaded the following theme: https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1187179/

I am running mint 19 64 bit and I have gone under Settings -> Themes and set every one of the options to the Matcha-dark-azul option.

However, my task bar does not look like the one shown in the picture. It still says "Menu" with the cog beside it.. I have also tried restarting.

How can I apply the entire theme so it looks like the picture?

Thanks,

Smitty
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: How to fully set a theme (including task bar settings)

Post by smurphos »

Cinnamon?

Right click the menu applet to access its configuration GUI including options to edit the label and pick a custom icon.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
yo_smitty

Post by yo_smitty »

Thanks for the reply! The menu was just one of the things different from the picture, unfortunately -- I also don't know where in the .themes folder the icon would be to even update it.

Other stuff like font/icon spacing seems different as well. I assumed the theme would adjust everything to match what they show.. is that not the case? Is there not a way to just say "apply X theme" and have it apply all relevant settings?

Thanks again for the reply!

Smitty
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Bear in mind that screenshot is probably from Gnome Shell not Cinnamon so you are unlikely to achieve an identical look, but you can get close. What applets etc you use in the panel is up to you and not set by the theme. In Mint 19 the Desktop part of the theme effects the panel size, spacing etc (unless you over-ride it in panel settings). In Mint 19.1 the panel and icon sizes will be fully under user control and not set by the theme.

Hint - you'll get closer to the screenshot look more easily in Mint 19.1. It's still in beta but probably not for long now.

How did you install Matcha? There is a separate icon pack for download from OpenDesktop - that gets extracted to ~/.icons and can then be selected in the themes settings module as-well. You'll still need to manually select your menu applet icon - the dots one in the screenshot is called start-here-symbolic.svg and can be found in ~/.icons/Matcha/places/symbolic.

The same icon already exists in the Mint-Y and Mint-X icon themes in /usr/share/icons/Mint-Y/places/symbolic or /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/places/scalable

It doesn't look like the author has made the Cinnamon panel transparent in the same way as the Gnome Shell panel - you can use this extension to achieve that - https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/e ... ns/view/42
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Cinnamon”