where nemo save folder images prefs in cinnamon?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sergio_63
Level 1
Level 1

where nemo save folder images prefs in cinnamon?

Post by sergio_63 »

Hi!
Since various version of mint ago (I've always used mint cinnamon) I change the image of many (hundreds...) of personal folders so I can easily understand the main content of each folder. I've designed the images then simply changed the icon image (right click on the folder, properties, click on the green folder, choose an image) one by one, hundreds of times....
Then time comes for a new version of the system. If I do a new clean installation on a different partition, from the new version of mint cinnamon (say 19) I open nemo and all the personalizations that I made in the hundreds of folders are gone. I can see, in each version of the system, only the personalized folders that I made inside that system. All the folder in questions are in non-system disks.
The question:
there is a way to copy some configuration file with the info of the folders with the skin image modified to the next version of the system?
Or in other words, where are stored the information about the folder with the skin changed?
P.s. I also learned to add emblems of my choice to the emblems already presents in the settings, (I can live with it, losing the image skin change...) same thing: I add the same emblems to the two version of the system but then I see, in each system, only the folder with the emblem that I made in THAT specific system, the other folders appears plain green (or whatever the theme chosen is).
Please help??
Thanks in advance
Sergio
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: where nemo save folder images prefs in cinnamon?

Post by xenopeek »

I tried setting an image as the icon for a directory, then tried to find what file(s) where changed. Doing some digging it seems this may be stored in the binary file ~./local/share/gvfs-metadata/home. At least:
- when I delete that directory after copying its files first somewhere else
- then logout and back in
- Nemo no longer has my image as the directory icon
- copying the home file back into ~./local/share/gvfs-metadata/ (I had to create the gvfs-metadata directory myself), it shows the image again

If you copy your home directory (including hidden directories) to the new install it should just work.

Some more digging I found you can retrieve what the icon configured for a directory is with the command:
gio info -a metadata::custom-icon /path/to/directory
You can also get that information for all files and subdirectories in a directory with:
gio list -a metadata::custom-icon /path/to/directory
You can also set the icon to use with command:
gio set /path/to/directory metadata::custom-icon file:///path/to/image-to-use
Anyway, should coping the home directory not be an option or copying the ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/home file not work you have some basic commands that could be used in a script to export the settings and import them on the new install.
sergio_63
Level 1
Level 1

Re: where nemo save folder images prefs in cinnamon?

Post by sergio_63 »

Thank you so much, xenopeek!

I've tried to move the entire dir gvfs-metadata somewhere else, killed nemo from sys monitor, reopened and all the personalizations of the folder were gone.
Re-copied gvfs-metadata in her place restored all as initially. Next upgrade version this will do.
And thanks also for the gio command explanations :D
Have a nice sunday!!

Return to “Cinnamon”