Am I missing something?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Kudalufi
Level 1
Level 1

Am I missing something?

Post by Kudalufi »

I have Mint/Mate installed on my main computer, and have Mint/Cinnamon installed on my old laptop which is now my ham shack computer. Both of them are via VirtualBox. I have actually just switched my shack computer to Mate. Before I actually remove Cinnamon, though, I am wondering if I have been missing something with it.

To that end, I have a few questions:
  1. Transparency: Is it possible to have panel transparency with more control than the extension allows, a la Mate?
  2. Are panel hide buttons possible a la Mate? With VirtualBox having the sliding panel button is fantastic since I can use seamless mode and have my panel on top take up just a few pixels on the top corner of my screen until needed.
  3. Various resources suggest that Cinnamon takes more resources, but I don't see why. Are there some awesome capabilities in Cinnamon that I'm not aware of? Things that just work better? What am I missing?
To be honest, while I've installed Mate, both Mate and Cinnamon seem really basic as far as desktop managers go. I still miss (mourn) Afterstep running on Gnome 1.4 with the ability to swallow applets. When Gnome took that away, everything seemed to sort of go down hill and ths ings seemed to get more basic and vanilla with each release.

smurphos
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Am I missing something?

Post by smurphos »

Kudalufi wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:22 am
list=1][*]Transparency: Is it possible to have panel transparency with more control than the extension allows, a la Mate?
[*]Are panel hide buttons possible a la Mate? With VirtualBox having the sliding panel button is fantastic since I can use seamless mode and have my panel on top take up just a few pixels on the top corner of my screen until needed.
[*]Various resources suggest that Cinnamon takes more resources, but I don't see why. Are there some awesome capabilities in Cinnamon that I'm not aware of? Things that just work better? What am I missing?
[/list]
1) Without the extension the panel transparency or lack off is set by your choice of 'Desktop' theme in the Themes module and is hardcoded in the themes cinnamon.css file. If you have a preferred theme that is lacking transparent panels, it's not normally hard to edit to make it so. Give me a shout and let me know which theme you are using and I'll walk you through it.

2) Right click on the panel, click panel settings and chose a mode for auto-hide panel. You might also find these applets useful. https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/265, https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/169.

3) Cinnamon required a 3D accelerated video card and all else being equal uses more RAM than Mate. I'd guess the RAM requirements are mainly because of the use of a CJS (a Javascript interpreter) to run applets, extensions, desklets etc. Upshot of that is ease of people making third party add-ons for Cinnamon.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Cinnamon”