[SOLVED - Bug] Nemo column headings are huge after 19.1 upgrade

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bassistguy
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED - Bug] Nemo column headings are huge after 19.1 upgrade

Post by bassistguy »

Good morning. I just recently upgraded my Linux Mint Cinnamon distro from 19 to 19.1. After the upgrade, I noticed that the column headings in Nemo are huge now (they are huge vertically, not horizontally), and I can't seem to find a way to adjust the size. I have attached a screenshot to show what I mean. This happens in all folders in list-view. Has anyone come across this before?

Linux Mint 64-bit
Version 19.1
Cinnamon version 4.0.8
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 10 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wyattbiker

Re: Nemo column headings are huge after 19.1 upgrade

Post by wyattbiker »

Did you try View > Reset to defaults see if that fixes it?
bassistguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bassistguy »

wyattbiker wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:13 pm Did you try View > Reset to defaults see if that fixes it?
Yeah, I tried that and it didn't change anything.

One thing I noticed is that the column headings under Update Manager are also oversized. At this point, I'm thinking about just doing a clean install of 19.1.
bassistguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bassistguy »

Here's an example of Update Manager.
bassistguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bassistguy »

So, in case anyone is curious, I found the cause, but have been unable to find a way to fix it. I have been using an icon theme for a number of years called "black-red". I reinstalled Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, and as soon as I applied this theme, the issue returned. A soon as I chose another icon theme, the issue disappeared. So, it seems to be incompatible with 19.1. I really like this theme, and am going to try to play around with the theme configs. Any suggestions are always welcome. :)
bassistguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bassistguy »

So, I sort of fixed the issue. I started moving chunks of icons out of the icon theme folder and re-applying the icon theme. I was finally able to pinpoint the issue to a shortcut / link in the following folder: ~/.icons/black-red/scalable/mimetypes. The link is pointing to another png file in that same folder for whatever reason. I attempted to create a new shortcut pointing to the same file, but the same issue occurred (headings were vertically huge). So, I ended up just completely removing the shortcut file from that folder. The icon theme is working as expected now. I'm not sure if I'll ever come across what that png shortcut was intended for though; maybe I will, who knows :). Marking this as SOLVED... sort of. :D
gm10

Re: [SOLVED] Nemo column headings are huge after 19.1 upgrade

Post by gm10 »

I'd still call that a regression bug in Cinnamon though, it should control the icon size, not the other way around. You can report it here, ideally with a link to the problematic icon theme: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues
bassistguy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Nemo column headings are huge after 19.1 upgrade

Post by bassistguy »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:44 am I'd still call that a regression bug in Cinnamon though, it should control the icon size, not the other way around. You can report it here, ideally with a link to the problematic icon theme: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues
Yeah, I thought about that after my last post. I actually ended up having additional problems today with this icon theme in several other areas of Cinnamon. I'm currently looking for a new theme now. I'll file a bug report for this theme. Thanks!
gm10

Re: [SOLVED - Bug] Nemo column headings are huge after 19.1 upgrade

Post by gm10 »

You could try opening all the theme's image files to see what the reason is. It's possible the icons are just saved on a much larger, transparent canvas. In that case you could manually trim the images down to be able to keep using your theme. Just an idea.

Return to “Cinnamon”