Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
efclee
Level 1
Level 1

Dual Boot

Post by efclee » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Hi

I have Windows 10 on M.2 drive and LMC 19.1 on an SSD, now my boot loader is screwed..

I configured the drive with correct partitions.. swap etc.. and also selected Windows Boot Manager at the bottom of the installation type page under Device for boot loader installation..

If I choose to boot to WIndows Boot Manager it loads Windows 10, If I choose to boot to my SSD which has Linux installed screen goes black for 2 seconds and then shows me EUFI Bios, only way to get to Mint is by choosing one of my extra boot items both have ubuntu at the start..

Is there a way I can change this so when I power on PC I get a dual boot option?

Thanks

Oblias
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dual Boot

Post by Oblias » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:30 pm

Well, at this point, the only thing I can think of is that perhaps you might look into a very good program called rEFInd. That should enable you to start your computer, and select whatever OS you want to boot into. I used it for a few months, and was very pleased with the way it worked, and how easy it was to set up. You should be able to find it via Google..

efclee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by efclee » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:16 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I did look at that program but I couldn't install it to my Windows 10?

The file I extracted was a .CDR, maybe that is what you install to iOS

Cheers,

Oblias
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oblias » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:51 pm

efclee wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:16 pm
Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I did look at that program but I couldn't install it to my Windows 10?

The file I extracted was a .CDR, maybe that is what you install to iOS

Cheers,
Boot into Linux Mint, then install it there.

Full instructions are at https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html

You can use the Debian package file for installation, should do the job for you.

Return to “Cinnamon”