Mint 19.1: screensaver has stopped working

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Namf_Mint
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 19.1: screensaver has stopped working

Post by Namf_Mint »

Here is a bug report I am thinking of filing against Cinnamon. I thought that I should check here for advice first, though.

```
* Cinnamon-Screensaver version (cinnamon-screensaver --version): 4.0.3.
* Distribution - (Mint 17.2, Arch, Fedora 25, etc...) Mint 19.1
* Graphics hardware *and* driver used: Intel UHD Graphics 620; 3.0 Mesa
* 32 or 64 bit: 64
```

**Issue**

The screensaver fails to engage whether automatically or manually.

**Steps to reproduce**

My screensaver settings:

- delay before starting the screensaver : 15 minutes or (the problem occurs on both settings) one minute;
- lock the computer when put to sleep;
- lock the computer when screensaver starts
- delay before locking: 15 seconds

The screensaver does not start once the idle time has elapsed. Nor will the screensaver run manually.

**Expected behaviour**

The screensaver should activate when it is supposed to.

**Other information**

- I have the following in the log, though the timestamp of the entry is hours away from when I noticed the problem: `cinnamon-screensaver-main.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.`

- There is this in the log too, and with a more relevant timestamp: 'detected that screensaver has left the bus'.

- Running `cinnamon-screensaver` did not engage the screensaver, but only generated this output:

```
Cinnamon Screensaver support not found in current theme - adding some...
Trying to connect to logind...
Starting screensaver...
Successfully using logind
```

```
$ cinnamon-screensaver --debug
Debug mode active
Cinnamon Screensaver support not found in current theme - adding some...
Trying to connect to logind...
org.gnome.ScreenSaver is gone from the session bus
org.mate.ScreenSaver is gone from the session bus
Starting screensaver...
Successfully using logind
```

- Changing border and desktop themes did not allow `cinnamon-screensaver' to engage the screensaver.

- Reinstalling and then rebooting did not help.

- I had wondered whether the wireless mouse might be part of the cause of the problem. I powered off the mouse (though left its USB receiver plugged in). The problem persisted.

- If I run `cinnamon-screensaver' and do not abort the process, _then_ the screensaver starts upon idle.

- Running `apt remove --purge xscreensaver-data xscreensaver-data-extra xscreensaver-gl xscreensaver-gl-extra cinnamon-screensaver-webkit-plugin cinnamon-screensaver-x-plugin` and rebooting (as advised [here](viewtopic.php?t=283954)) did not help.

- Reinstall slick-greeter did not help.

- On another user, the screensaver starts on idle but when run manually gives an error about another screensaver being active.

- The problem began only recently; I am unsure what change immediately preceded the problem.

- Everything else on my system works except that a while ago nemo-desktop stopped starting automatically and must now be added manually to my startup applications (see https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/38; I had this problem in the past and something cured it but now the problem is back).

- The system was upgraded from Mint 19.0, and the upgrade process report no error.

Cf. this discussion on the Mint forum: viewtopic.php?t=273565, which recommends 'pkill cinnamon-screen && cinnamon-screensaver', which did not help me.
Cf. also this bug report: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-s ... issues/219
Cf. also perhaps this bug report: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-s ... issues/194

Kernel 4.20 (but I tried a 4.19 kernel and that did not help; nor did a 4.18 kernel help)
Computer: Lenovo X1 Carbon G6.
Namf_Mint
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 19.1: screensaver has stopped working

Post by Namf_Mint »

Solved. Solution: I located

Code: Select all

~.local/share/applications
- a folder that does not exist on a clean Mint 19.1 installation - deleted the whole folder, and rebooted.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

The user-specific directory ~/.local/share/applications is nothing to be worried about.
It will exist and be populated in the course of time on most systems.
As soon as you edit an application launcher through Cinnamon Menu Editor, the resulting launcher file will be saved in this directory.

Code: Select all

karl@voyager ~/.local/share/applications $ inxi -Sxxx
System:    Host: voyager Kernel: 4.4.0-141-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 5.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 wm: muffin 
           dm: MDM Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena base: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial 
karl@voyager ~/.local/share/applications $ 
As you can see the directory exists on my Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, too. Cinnamon screensaver works like designed here. The same applies to my Mint 19 Cinnamon.

So whatever it was that solved your problem after many failed attempts, it is extremely unlikely that the presence of the directory ~/.local/share/applications was the root cause. Might be one of the files inside the directory was malformed. But even then this should have no impact on cinnamon-screensaver.

I only mention this in order to prevent other users from blindly deleting this directory including its content.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Maybe it was the reboot, lol?

Okay, probably not. But I have been surprised, reading various troubleshooting threads over the past few years, how people with problems sometimes try many things - but don't seem to think of doing a simple reboot. Maybe "it's linux, and my system has been running without a problem for 64,738 years" mindset, I don't know.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Cinnamon”