Cinnamon Workspaces - What are they good for?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
52ROSt
Level 4
Level 4

Cinnamon Workspaces - What are they good for?

Post by 52ROSt » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:13 am

I am using on my workhorse PC LM 17.3 KDE since 17.1 (?). The main reason for using KDE DE are the "activities", which can be set up each in a different way starting from the background to different "widgets" in different positions of an activity screen. I use different activities for projects with different clients in professional use and for different activities in personal use. Each activity has 1-2 different folder widgets, which give me quick access to the folders for each activity. Additionally I use a few other widgets depending on the activity.

Now I am setting up my next PC and was surprised that KDE DE does not exist anymore for LM 19.0. Thus, I installed Cinnamon DE. I feel this is a great DE for beginners and user with different requirements than I have them.

When I set up workspaces in Cinnamon I had to recognize that all workspaces look the same and cannot be changed. The only difference I could see so far is that I can open applications and have them assigned to one or more workspaces. Workspaces can be differentiated only by number not by customizable names and/or icons.

I received in the meantime some help with assigning a different background to each workspace (Thanks to @smurphose; viewtopic.php?f=208&t=282251 ).

My following question - it is NOT meant to be ironical - is what are the workspace good for, if they are, compared to activities of KDE, so much less functional?

Or, am I overseeing something and workspaces can be set up and used in my above described way of using KDE's activities?

Should the workspaces really are so much less functional compared to the KDE activities, I sincerely hope that KDE DE comes back with 19.2 or 19.3 at least; the earlier the better.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Cinnamon Workspaces - What are they good for?

Post by Moem » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:22 am

52ROSt wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:13 am
Workspaces can be differentiated only by number not by customizable names and/or icons.
Not true; when in Expo view, you can rename them.

I've never used KDE, so I don't care how workspaces work in Cinnamon as compared to KDE. I like workspaces because it means not having a heap of windows all on top of each other. I can use a specific workspace for a specific activity and it feels more organised to me than doing it all in one screen. That's all.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:30 am

I agree with Moem that work spaces can be organized to have certain apps going in each one with different background colors if you choose. Once you get your regular apps setup how you want them there is a tick box in the log out menu to save session for future logons and if checked all will be restored how you left it.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

52ROSt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 52ROSt » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:52 am

HaveaMint wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:30 am
I agree with Moem that work spaces can be organized to have certain apps going in each one with different background colors if you choose. Once you get your regular apps setup how you want them there is a tick box in the log out menu to save session for future logons and if checked all will be restored how you left it.
This sounds very interesting!

Could you please give some more hints on how to
  • How ti set different background colors - can this by images as well?

Are "regular apps" the same as desklets - if not what are they and how can they be selected and set-up?

How can set-ups of workspaces be preserved when a shutdown is made - or is this only possible for log-out

How can different folders be located on different workspaces?
Thanks in advance for your reply!

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:07 am

You can set the background of a workplace in your desktop setting menu like you want and un-check apply to all work places as in the picture.
background.png
In each work space you open the applications you want running in that work place and do the same for each work space until it is set like you want it. Then when you go to shutdown the machine leave all the applications you setup running and check this block in the logout window like below.
logout.png
logout.png (17.11 KiB) Viewed 865 times

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:52 am

@HaveaMint where did those screenshots come from? I'm running LM19.0 cinnamon and can't find those settings - suspect it's one of the new features in LM19.1.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

52ROSt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 52ROSt » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:04 am

This looks great!!!

Where is this setting to be made??? HELP!!!

Same like @AndyMH!

twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:10 am

Look in cinnamon settings.

52ROSt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 52ROSt » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:29 am

... and where are these Cinnamon settings hidden? How can they be accessed?

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:09 am

Having had all the MInt supported DEs from the last 5 years or so installed at some point, as well as a bunch of other DEs in my distro hopping days, I can confidently state that no other DE has the same functionality that Activities does in KDE. But they all have multiple workspaces, that was present in Unix which predates Linux by about 2 decades ad which of course Linux is based on.

KDE is by far my favorite DE. To me it makes all others I've used (including Xfce which is on my old netbook) look really amateurish. But I don't use Activities because I don't actually need it all that much, just having multiple workspaces is fine for me.

I've often seen posts by Linux beginners who are wondering what the big deal with multiple workspaces is. All I can say is, just set it up with 2 to 4 desktops. I always put the workspace switcher on the main panel too. Then just use them for a while. If there's one Linux feature I couldn't do without now it's that.

Roland
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Roland » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:28 am

HaveaMint wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:07 am
You can set the background of a workplace in your desktop setting menu like you want and un-check apply to all work places as in the picture.
background.png

In each work space you open the applications you want running in that work place and do the same for each work space until it is set like you want it. Then when you go to shutdown the machine leave all the applications you setup running and check this block in the logout window like below.
logout.png
My desktop settings (Mint19.1) do not show these settings, only these ones:
(attachment)
Attachments
Schermafdruk van 2019-01-04 14-27-09.png

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:52 am

it now does seem that I've had "workspaces" on my Mate desktop PCs - for multi-years, now.
& workspace-switcher, as well.

yep - I'm just using the default settings, too - workspaces are just numbered - nothing fancy, here.
- - it's a very useful feature, that I've liked for the last several years, or more.

now, even win-10 has 'virtual desktop' function, as well,,
- as always - their just copying someone-else's ideas.
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:41 am

Pierre wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:52 am
... now, even win-10 has 'virtual desktop' function, as well,,
- as always - their just copying someone-else's ideas.
MS and everyone else. In computer science plagiarism is considered a sign of intelligence.

Besides, in the Linux FOSS world, besides Wordpress and emacs, name me ONE original software product. Everythingelse I use and/or know of in Linux is a reverse engineered version/copy of a proprietary bit of software. Almost always from Windows. I haven't booted WIndows other than a Hiren's recovery disk for years but I'm getting tired of jingoism ...

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:05 am

name me ONE original software product
Visicalc, electric pencil, to name but two. But pre-dating all modern OS's
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

52ROSt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 52ROSt » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:33 am

Let me please get back to the post of @HaveaMint in which he shows screenshots on how to set different backgrounds for different workspaces.

I am could not find these setting in my LM 19.0 Cinnamon. It also seems that at least @AndyMH is looking for the same.

It would be highly appreciated if someone could post on where the "Cinnamon settings" are in which the backgrounds be set to different for each workspace.

Thanks in advance!

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:24 pm

I'm running XFCE and wrongly assumed these were common settings.

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:35 pm

Oh dear! It was a nice thought for five minutes, something the cinnamon devs should think about for the future :(

52ROSt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 52ROSt » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:16 am

This is almost unbelievable. More can be done with Cinnamon in XFCE then in Cinnamon!

This is a bit disappointing.

How can the devs be triggered to add this functionality to Cinnamon?

Where to place a request?

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:53 am

AndyMH wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:35 pm
Oh dear! It was a nice thought for five minutes, something the cinnamon devs should think about for the future :(
In the interim here's the short script that 52ROSt referred to set up per workspace backgrounds in Cinnamon - viewtopic.php?p=1557123#p1557123
52ROSt wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:16 am

This is almost unbelievable. More can be done with Cinnamon in XFCE then in Cinnamon!

This is a bit disappointing.

How can the devs be triggered to add this functionality to Cinnamon?

Where to place a request?
A current feature request is in - https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/8072

A way to support it is to give it a thumbs up on on Github. If you have more to add then post a comment.

However the dev team are already aware of the want - https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/1774.

There is mention of workspace improvements on the roadmap - but I'm not sure they are this specific feature - https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap/bl ... stponed.md

So the most likely way for this to be implemented in the short/medium term is via someone writing a third party extension.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

52ROSt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 52ROSt » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:40 am

@smurphos

Thanks for your contribution in this thread.

I placed the request you mentioned and commented on the other link concerning such a development. Let's keep fingers crossed that more people comment on the development requests.

I will try to implement it via viewtopic.php?p=1557123#p1557123; thanks for your contribution there. First I had no time, and yesterday I "killed" my LM 19.0 Cinnamon machine (viewtopic.php?f=90&t=285006) and hope I can get some help from someone.

Question:
I have no clued about writing code for a SW like Cinnamon. However, when I look at the script you wrote, I am of the impression that this should already by the kernel of the code needed. I am wrong?

Return to “Cinnamon”