[SOLVED] mockturtle Weather applet no longer working (bug report raised)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] mockturtle Weather applet no longer working (bug report raised)

Post by Ranthe »

In case anyone was wondering why the "Weather" (weather@mockturtl) Cinnamon applet is no longer working as of Friday 4 January, it's possibly due to the Yahoo! API the app uses no longer being supported.

https://developer.yahoo.com/weather/?guccounter=1
Important EOL Notice: As of Thursday, Jan. 3, 2019, the weather.yahooapis.com and query.yahooapis.com for Yahoo Weather API will be retired.
To continue using our free Yahoo Weather APIs, use https://weather-ydn-yql.media.yahoo.com/forecastrss. Contact yahoo-weather-ydn-api@oath.com for credentials to onboard to this free Yahoo Weather API service.
I've raised a bug report to the developer for this on GitHub - https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-s ... ssues/2178
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: mockturtle Weather applet no longer working (bug report raised)

Post by kyphi »

Ross, the maintainer of WOEID has posted this notice:

"It appears that WOEID information has been discontinued. I'm pursuing an alternative. Please contact me if you are interested in a custom solution."

The Yahoo weather service has never been accurate. WeatherZone gives accurate forecasts for Australia and New Zealand.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/world/oceania
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
ronsmeyer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ronsmeyer »

I'm not sure there is much mockturtl can do if the data source has been discontinued. It's not technically a software bug. We can just hope he can find another source.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

kyphi wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:36 pm Ross, the maintainer of WOEID has posted this notice:

"It appears that WOEID information has been discontinued. I'm pursuing an alternative. Please contact me if you are interested in a custom solution."

The Yahoo weather service has never been accurate. WeatherZone gives accurate forecasts for Australia and New Zealand.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/world/oceania
Well, that explains why it still works on Xfce desktop. The weather applet in Xfce does not use WOEID.
Thanks for sharing this info.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

ronsmeyer wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:14 pm I'm not sure there is much mockturtl can do if the data source has been discontinued. It's not technically a software bug. We can just hope he can find another source.
Can't mockturtl just use what the weather applet uses in Xfce?
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ranthe »

Update from the applet author:
mockturtle wrote:I won't have time to fix this in the foreseeable future. I'd be happy to see it adopted by the Mint team, or whoever is interested in maintenance.

I'm using the bbcwx@oak-wood.co.uk desklet (with OpenWeatherMap) as an alternative.
vaca
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vaca »

I hope that the clement ceo of the team of mint, take note and adapt this applet, I know that the mockturle applet followed.
It is mandatory to have this applet as standard, it would not cost anything to fix it to the mint team.

Meanwhile I recommend using my weather indicator is an excellent alternative and full of essential information. Do not use keys of any kind not woeid!
Acer 7542G/4gb ram/Mint20 usb 1TB. Hp Elitedesk 800 G3 Mini 35 wt /i5 7500T /16GB RAM DDR4 2400/UEFI MINT 20 1 TB USB3 /240GB SSD sata/!
Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ranthe »

A new developer has taken over the Weather App, and it's now fixed (you have to register for a free OpenWeather API key to use it).
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Ranthe wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:39 am A new developer has taken over the Weather App, and it's now fixed (you have to register for a free OpenWeather API key to use it).
Great! Works fine. Thanks for reporting this.

Only the localization isn't yet quite what it should be, though.... The Dutch translation on GitHub looks complete, but still English terms pop up. Work in progress, I suppose. :)
Last edited by Pjotr on Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [SOLVED] mockturtle Weather applet no longer working (bug report raised)

Post by Pjotr »

OK, I've updated the Dutch translation.

@ other translators: you have to use the new .pot file (template). Like this:

Code: Select all

msgmerge Old-Translation.po New-Template.pot > New-Translation.po
Then you can start translating the missing strings in New-Translation.po.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Cinnamon”