Cinnamon Expo - Workspaces Paused?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Demonitron

Cinnamon Expo - Workspaces Paused?

Post by Demonitron »

Good evening all and a very Happy New Year.

I have an annoying little...quirk? That seems to have either developed with 19.1 or came as a "feature" with 19.

I use expo and hotcorners to visually monitor things on multiple workspaces (email, running programs or commands finishing etc), so I have always been able to throw my pointer into a corner & BAM, can see what's happening.

However...

As mentioned above, in either 19 or it's upgrade to 19.1, expo workspaces are now paused until they are active, which means instead of being able to check things at a glance and go back to whatever I was doing prior should nothing require my attention, now I have to click on a workspace to make it 'live' again for it to 'refresh', then go back into expo mode to get back to whatever else.

I hope I'm explaining the problem clearly enough...

Is there a tickbox or config file in the bowels somewhere to change it back to how it used to be? E.g. if you had a video playing in one workspace, but switched to another, you could still see the video running from expo while on a completely different workspace. Now the video will LOOK paused from expo while not on that particular workspace.

Dem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Cinnamon Expo - Workspaces Paused?

Post by smurphos »

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/8095

On a quick search through the commit history for Cinnamon and Muffin using 'expo' as search term I don't see anything obvious to suggest this is deliberate so I think it's a bug.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Demonitron

Post by Demonitron »

The fellow from that link is describing the exact issue I am having also.

Also able to reproduce on my second Mint Cinnamon box.

Curiously, both boxes and the post on Github are using nVidia drivers. Would be nice to get feedback from anyone using the open source drivers or AMD hardware.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I see the behaviour on Intel graphics.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Demonitron

Post by Demonitron »

UPDATE

Can now confirm that this bug is introduced in 19.1

Did an install of Mint 19 Cinnamon at work today as well as all updates. Expo was working as expected.

Upon the upgrade to 19.1, non-active workspaces are visually paused.
Demonitron

Post by Demonitron »

No further advance or confirmation on this bug?

Would be great if we could get some more people to confirm it's existence & put in a bug report.

Every machine I've upgraded to 19.1 so far develops the issue and I'm not enough of a Linux guru to figure out why, where or how to fix it.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Don't put in additional bug reports but if you have additional info to add to the existing one please do add it...
AuDigit

Post by AuDigit »

Same issue here. I also use Expo as does the OP. This bug is very disconcerting to my workflow.

Return to “Cinnamon”