Icon sizes/resizing question LM19.1 ....... Cin 4.xxx

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Icon sizes/resizing question LM19.1 ....... Cin 4.xxx

Post by daveinuk »

Hello Folks,
just reinstalled 19.1 to upgrade me from my 17.3 install I've had on my desktop the last few years. All's well except I can't figure out how to resize desktop icons?
I'm on the cinnamon desktop and I've always had some icons for computer/home etc that I preferred to the standard icons that came with an install.

I used to just right click and choose resize from the menu, but that seems to have gone?
Just found out there's an option at install to choose from a 'traditional' option, but I didn't look for or, see that while installing.
I have overwritten the root section and preserved /home during install.

Cin vers 4.0.8 if that helps . . . ..

Loving the 19x version so far anyway, all working faultlessly for me so far, great work people thank you !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Icon sizes/resizing question LM19.1 ....... Cin 4.xxx

Post by trytip »

Last edited by trytip on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

I have been clear, You've chosen to use the 'traditional' version, I didn't even know it existed, but I don't want to use it either way.

In previous versions of cinnamon desktop, i.e on 17.3, I could right click and drag the icon corners after choosing 'resize' from the right click context menu, now that option does not exist.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

daveinuk wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:30 am I have been clear, You've chosen to use the 'traditional' version, I didn't even know it existed, but I don't want to use it either way.

In previous versions of cinnamon desktop, i.e on 17.3, I could right click and drag the icon corners after choosing 'resize' from the right click context menu, now that option does not exist.
in my snappy that's the modern theme because the traditional theme locks up when using Gimp. if you want to individually resize an icon from the desktop like you would resizing a kde desktop widget, that feature doesn't exist, or i'm not aware of it
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Modern vs traditional has no effect on the desktop icon sizing - it's just a couple of panel settings, different default themes and a different set of default applets - nothing special. Desktop icon size is controlled as outlined by trytip. Right click on desktop > Customise > Pick an Icon Size from the drop down menu.

@trytip - the GIMP issue is not the traditional layout per-se - it the window-list applet (default in traditional) that has got the bug - it's fixable pending the update being rolled out that fixes it officially - see viewtopic.php?p=1575829#p1575829
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

This still doesn't solve my issue, I have an icon for computer that doesn't ' look ' the same size as the rest even after doing as you said.
I wanted to use the option to resize it by dragging the corners like I used to in 17.3, when right clicking on the icon and choosing 'resize' would give me the option to manually make the icon as large or small as I want, to match the other icons.

If this option has been done away with, I shall consider it a regression and live with it. It doesn't solve my 'issue' but if it's gone it's gone. Thanks anyway.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

if one icon is larger than others try changing icon themes. this is the first i hear that one icon on desktop is larger than the rest. can you provide a snapshot of how things look?
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

As I said in the first post, some of the icons are custom icons I prefer over the standard icons, (jpg's) so there's no point in changing themes.
If the ability to drag the icon to resize has been done away with, then I'll live with it. Cheers.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

daveinuk wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:36 pm As I said in the first post, some of the icons are custom icons I prefer over the standard icons, (jpg's) so there's no point in changing themes.
If the ability to drag the icon to resize has been done away with, then I'll live with it. Cheers.
The ability is actually still there - I hadn't realised but you need to disable the default icon grid system for the option to resize icon to show up when right-clicking a desktop icon. The disable desktop grid setting is no longer available via the main GUI (it's technically deprecated) in Cinnamon 4 but can be accessed either via the gui app dconf-editor or the command line.

To turn the grid off

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.nemo.desktop use-desktop-grid false
To turn it back on.

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.nemo.desktop use-desktop-grid true
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Cinnamon”