Can't create desktop launcher [SOLVED]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nielo
Level 3
Level 3

Can't create desktop launcher [SOLVED]

Post by nielo »

I am running LM 19.1 and cinnamon has just updated to 4.0.9 now, all of a sudden, I can't create a new launcher on the Desktop.

Any help greatly appreciated! :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
redlined

Re: Can't create desktop launcher

Post by redlined »

nielo wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:22 pm I am running LM 19.1 and cinnamon has just updated to 4.0.9 now, all of a sudden, I can't create a new launcher on the Desktop.

Any help greatly appreciated! :?
hi nielo, I believe this is a bug in the update for Cinnamon 4.0.9 (happens to me too) that was intended to fix a 4.0.8 bug with making desktop launchers.

If you get a crash report do consider sending it in so the Mint team can sort the issue and roll another fix asap. Thanks!
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

bugs, bugs and more bugs. just found out a few minutes after update to cinammon 4.09
Create a new launcher is broken https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/8275
well i guess the cinnamon team will fix it next time
Last edited by trytip on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redlined

Post by redlined »

trytip wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:48 pm Create a new launcher is broken https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/8275
yup, that's what happens here.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

trytip wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:08 pm well another new bug. if you add window list applet then you remove, it remove everything including the grouped window list. then you have to configure your new grouped list again
I can't reproduce that.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

smurphos wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:51 am
trytip wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:08 pm well another new bug. if you add window list applet then you remove, it remove everything including the grouped window list. then you have to configure your new grouped list again
I can't reproduce that.
i reconfigured my whole cinnamon desktop to use the modern theme, added transparent extension and configured the grouped window list how i like it. then i wanted to test some more applets and wanted to see the difference between the 2 window lists and added the window list. i played around adding more applets, some work some not. then i removed the window list and so did the grouped list go. there are other inconsistencies but this one messed with me because at first i didn't noticed that the grouped list was gone until i looked at the panel and saw only two icons on the left. the menu and show desktop

here's a video. i don't use 1920 resolution so the video is low
https://youtu.be/rPGcyMRMzEs
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Thanks - reproduced. I think that's a bug with the applet manager GUI, removing window list via right click on the applet and remove 'window-list' doesn't have the same effect. I've got the GWL on three panels (theme testing) and it took out all three when I followed the steps in the video. Will see if I can work out what is going on.

If you bug report on Github in the meantime put a link here or if I do first I'll post a link back. I'm off to work soon so I won't be troubleshooting today.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

smurphos wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:00 am If you bug report on Github in the meantime put a link here or if I do first I'll post a link back. I'm off to work soon so I won't be troubleshooting today.
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/8282
SteffenD
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't create desktop launcher [SOLVED]

Post by SteffenD »

OK I just encountered the issue where it's impossible to add a new application shortcut to the panel the "normal" way.

But I also just found a workaround:
- Launch your app, in my case I had to start it via the terminal
- The application's icon appears in the task bar
- Right-click this icon
- Select "Create shortcut"

Worked for me...
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I posted a temporary solution to the can't open the create launcher dialog bug in this topic but the post got moved in error during a topic split....for posterity (well until the upstream fix actually gets pushed out as an update :roll: )

viewtopic.php?p=1578018#p1578018
simitte

Post by simitte »

I have the same problem.
Fresh Linux Mint 19.1 Cinammon install, can't create launcher on Desktop.

This workaround work for me:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/494913
Right click on the menu icon (default Mint menu - left bottom corner) --> configure --> Menu tab --> Open the menu editor --> New Item (chose category for your app)
You have created new launcher in main menu.
And now, open default Mint menu, find your app -> right click on it and "add to desktop".

Return to “Cinnamon”