Cinnamon over XFCE; Worth it?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
perdomot
Level 3
Level 3

Cinnamon over XFCE; Worth it?

Post by perdomot »

Been using the XFCE DE for the last couple of years and happy with it but I upgraded my PC hardware in 2018 and it can easily handle a beefier OS like Cinnamon now so I was wondering what advantages are to be gained by switching. I've noticed that XFCE has been at the 4.12 version for a long time while Cinnamon is sporting the newer 4.0 version and seems to be under more development. I'm curious what, if any, the benefits of a more modern DE like Cinnamon has over its older but still steady competitor. Thanks for any advice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
allstarrmultimedia
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon over XFCE; Worth it?

Post by allstarrmultimedia »

Hi. I just wanted to add my bit. When I first started looking at Linux, Mint had just released 17(.1). I wasn't sure about anything, but coming off of mainly using XP, with some Vista and 7, I read how Mint, using Cinnamon, was close to a Windows DE, and I feel that it's right. I'm now at 19, and am using the Cinnamon DE for it. Everything (imo) is easy to find, no matter if I'm going through the menu, or the folders. Downloading new files (package manager, or other), and the programs are in an area of the menu bar that makes sense.

I've tried a few distros (Zorin, various Ubuntus, TAILS, Librety Linux, etc), and a few different DEs (mainly Matte, but a few XFCE). For me, Cinnamon is the easiest to use, especially for casual computer users, who may be wanting to switch OS, especially with how intrusive Windows has started to become. For me, if the distro doesn't include a Cinnamon, I won't try it, simply because I don't have a lot of time to try every single Distro/DE, and if I want to experiment with an OS, I want to have an easy time in the DE. GNOME, in TAILS has functioned well, but I honestly don't spend a lot of time using it, although I do find it fairly straight forward...but maybe that's because with TAILS, the idea is to not have a lot of bloat, since you're running it off a USB (or like)...
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i use xfce in arch linux and i can tell you that it acts different than the xfce mint offers or i guess it comes from ubuntu. if mint's version of xfce ever catches up to the arch version many xfce users here will be annoyed. like with everything "modern" today it seems developers believe removing features and functions from a piece of software makes it edgy. the arch xfce desktop is now not handled as a folder any longer. meaning if you rightclick on the desktop in mint xfce you still have the option to open as root. in the updated version of xfce that is removed along with a lot of custom commands that are now deprecated on the desktop.

if one thing has taught me in using arch for the past 3 years is not to get comfortable with my current environment because those features that you enjoy which others may not will change at some point and cause you to look somewhere else or just give in to the whim of the developer and know that your desktop is not yours really but theirs.

the answer to your riddle Cinnamon over XFCE; Worth it? = stick with what you love because tomorrow it may be gone.
perdomot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by perdomot »

Thanks for all the feedback. I think my main concern is that I'm missing out on some newer tech by using XFCE. I was reading about how Cinnamon handles video so well compared to pass versions and I do like my rig to have high performance. I really like the way XFCE works especially the Mint version but I do wish we could get a 4.13 version of it soon.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i wanted xfce but needed the experience installing mint with cinnamon from live. but the first thing i did is install xfce on top of cinnamon. i spend most my time in xfce and logoff switch to cinnamon when i need to troubleshoot or test some things or just to see what's new.
cinnamon and xfce work pretty decent together, you can have both. there may be one or two instances of conflicts between startups or menu entries but nothing major, sometimes i spend weeks in xfce without even thinking of cinnamon and sometimes the other way around

if you decide to install cinnamon i have to say do a timeshift snapshot just in case.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I wanted fast and easy to use Desktop that included all of the features that I am accustomed from the Windows world....

e.g., IMO, Menu key + E should always open up the File Manager, and it does in Win and 18.3 Cinnamon

Likewise, most of the kybd shortcuts from Win are replicated in Cinnamon.
it just works without me having to fuss with it.
The file manager is agreeable to me, works a bit easier than WinExplorer does.

had to get used to GIMP, but now that I have, it is my editor of choice for images.

I have Xcfe and Mate installed on different hardware, and I just simply do NOT like them at all.
What I found myself doing with both of the DEs was trying add kybd shortcuts so it would act like Cinnamon....

WTH? why should I being doing that, I just scrapped trying to work with either one.
Both are too stripped to be useful to me.

For me, Cinnamon is the way to go..... I have lots of RAM, a 1.9 gHz CPU
it boots fast, and just simply works everyday, without crashing

I even wrote the Crontab job file so that Updates are done automatically.
I am happy, and not looking to change until forced to
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Worth it? Without a doubt absolutely YES. Cinnamon is the most popular Linux OS and for a very good reason!
Last edited by carum carvi on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

LuvNix wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:22 am ^ +1 EXACTLY, again it's tech and gnu/Linux, people often can have their cake and eat it too. If someone prepares, then yep ... again, unlike real life. You can learn from your mistakes without having to experience the pain, serious consequences and/or sometimes permanent damage that comes along with making mistakes in real life. Hmmmmm, mostly just posted to say your forum avatar is awesome Trytip. Whoaaaaaa ... :)
to quote one of my mate's signatures in another forum:
My Mind is like my internet browser, 19 tabs open, 6 are frozen and I've no idea where the music is coming from!
:P
perdomot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by perdomot »

Well, I've just made a backup with Clonezilla so I think I'll give Cinnamon a try but should I use the Ubuntu or the Debian version? Been playing around a little on Virtualbox and the Ubuntu version lets me add ppa to customize icons/themes and add software but the Debian is supposed to be rock solid. Which version are you folks using?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

perdomot wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:41 am Well, I've just made a backup with Clonezilla so I think I'll give Cinnamon a try but should I use the Ubuntu or the Debian version? Been playing around a little on Virtualbox and the Ubuntu version lets me add ppa to customize icons/themes and add software but the Debian is supposed to be rock solid. Which version are you folks using?
I'm using the ISO 64bit from the Mint Repository.
it allows PPAs and FlatPaks for those special apps that you want.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Just dl the Cinnamon version live CD and burn it to a USB stick and then test, see for yourself if you like it. I don't really think anyone else can answer this question for you.

I don't personally think more modern DEs like Cinnamon really do anything more that's important to most users than ones like Xfce which look like something from the 90s, for a reason. But that shouldn't stop people from using Cinnamon etc. if they like the experience better. Cinnamon does have similar system reuirements to Win 8/10 and you really, really want a resonably powerful gpu with properly supported drivers. Cinnamon needs 3D hardware accelerated video just by itself.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
perdomot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by perdomot »

UPDATE:

Well, I installed Cinnamon and tried out my usual patterns and I have to say that I think XFCE is better IMO. The whole system seemed slower with things like the file manager taking noticeably longer, dragging windows to my 2nd monitor wasn't as smooth, and other small niggles that just made the experience not as fun. Gonna try Ubuntu Budgie tomorrow as that looks very good in Virtualbox and I want to try it out on hardware. I'm also curious about Mint Mate as I've used Ubuntu Mate and it was quite good although not as good as Mint from my experience.
Hypersphere
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Hypersphere »

I much prefer Xfce over Cinnamon. The Mint implementation of Xfce is beautiful and functional right out of the box, and I can easily add the panel applets that I need. Cinnamon still has limited choices for panel applets that actually work properly.

Another thing I don't like about Cinnamon is the "My Computer" label in the left-hand pane of the default file manager, Nemo. I prefer Thunar's "File System".

IMO, the only thing that Cinnamon does better than Xfce is management of multiple monitors. With Cinnamon, you can choose which monitor on which to display desktop icons. With Xfce, the desktop icons always go to the far left-hand display, because it sees multiple displays as one giant screen. Nevertheless, on balance, I still choose Xfce as my default desktop.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Another XFCE fan.
Fashion statement O/Ss don't impress me.
Like O/Ss lean, compact and streamlined without superfluous bells and whistles.
Want every cpu cycle and byte of ram going to functionality not cosmetics.
Like the simple, utilitarian, boiler plate look of the XFCE interface.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I'm a user first and a computer enthusiast last.
For me a computer is a tool not a hobby or toy.
When I boot up I want to be doing stuff not looking for stuff right off the bat.
XFCE is compact and organized the way I like things and I can get to what I need fast and as one poster already said those panel applets are excellent.:mrgreen:
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I came to Linux a few years back with 17.x Cinnamon.

were it not for Cinnamon, I would not be using any version of Linux.

I have too many PCs and laptops laying around to have different Desktop Environments on them.

Cinnamon is so close to Windows that I use either one w/o even thinking of what I am doing.
I installed GIMP on Windows so that I can perform image magic w/o changing thoughts.

I spent 40 years fixing computers, I have no interest anymore at what goes on under the hood.
all I want is to reach the internet and do my hobbies.

when it comes down to brass tacks, it don't matter what OS is under the hood to do that.

that is, if the Windows machine is fast enough to not get in the way, which my new one is. blazingly fast, and too damned expensive.

Win7 in the office, 18.3 Cinnamon by my recliner, and also the latest toy is a Win10 laptop waiting to be upgraded to MINT. but, it is so damned fast, that honestly, the urge has sort of fallen to the wayside.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

It really gets down to a matter of taste and what you are used to (i.e. comfortable with) . . . . . well and what your hardware will support.
A couple of analogies - when I was assigned over in Germany my wife became friends with her German teacher. When my wife's German teacher and her husband came to visit us here in the USA I made my car available to them - My wife's German teacher did not feel comfortable driving our Acura because it was automatic, which she had little experience with driving automatic transmission cars. I wanted to buy my wife a new MB SUV definately an upgrade to her Honda CR-V . . . . Nope she likes Hondas and wants another CR-V. It really just boils down to what you are used to, are comfortable with and like.

I have played with both MATE and XFCE especially when doing installs on older less power systems. They work pretty well and I suppose if you really are familiar with them are great but for the same reasons I stick with Cinnamon - it just looks and feels better to me but that is subjective. And because I have a somewhat powerful PC with lots of RAM there is no performance cost to run what I perceive (which again is totally subjective) as a slicker more polished DE.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I used to have Cinnamon as the first DE for Mint. I tried MATE, which I didn't like at all. I then tried Xfce. I went back and forth until I settled on Xfce.

I like the way it's customizable and straightforward.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I think many LM converts were looking for another windows WITHOUT the steamroller updates and Microsoft ¨like it or lump it¨ arrogance.
We found it. :D
Linux is more of a community than an top down autocracy. :mrgreen:
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Minux1 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:32 pm I think many LM converts were looking for another windows WITHOUT the steamroller updates and Microsoft ¨like it or lump it¨ arrogance.
We found it. :D
Linux is more of a community than an top down autocracy. :mrgreen:
I could not have said it better, my fingers tend to explode on the situation. :roll:

Return to “Cinnamon”