Right-button desktop menu; "Customise" entry has disappeared

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zumbruk
Level 1
Level 1

Right-button desktop menu; "Customise" entry has disappeared

Post by Zumbruk »

Linux anubis 4.15.0-43-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 6 14:45:28 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have just done a fresh Mint 19.1 install on a new machine and copied all my files over from my old machine. In the course of doing this, I suspect I have broken something, since the "Customise" entry in the menu that appears when you right-click on the desktop has disappeared and been replaced by "Sort Desktop icons by name" (an option I would cheerfully see nuked from orbit). I was careful not to copy any "." files in ~, but perhaps not careful enough.

If I create another user and log on as them, the entry returns, which suggests I have changed/deleted/overwritten something in my account.

Can anyone suggest what it is I have done, or some google-magic in order to find out? I have spent several days searching, but my skills have so far let me down.

Thanks,

Z.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Right-button desktop menu; "Customise" entry has disappeared

Post by MrEen »

Hi Zumbruk, and welcome to the forum.

I believe your File Manager settings are what you're looking for. On Xfce, ~/.config/Thunar/uca.xml holds those settings. I'd imagine a similar location for other DE's with the appropriate changes to the path, such as ~/.config/Nemo

Hope that helps.
Zumbruk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zumbruk »

Thanks for that.

I copied .config/nemo/* from another user that works into ~/.config/nemo, logged off and on again and ...

Makes no difference.

Sorry.

I also had a rummage round in ~/.config, but there's nothing relevant looking in there, either.

Z.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Try running this in a terminal to reset all of nemo-desktop's settings to default. After running it hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart Cinnamon.

Code: Select all

gsettings reset-recursively org.nemo.desktop
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Zumbruk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zumbruk »

You, Sir, are a star!

gsettings reset-recursively org.nemo.desktop made the menu return to how it should be. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I didn't even have to restart cinnamon.

I'll have a look to see what else it's broken tomorrow (superficially, nothing, but who knows?)

Thanks again.

Z.
Zumbruk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zumbruk »

OK, got it.

Running gsettings reset-recursively org.nemo.desktop makes the menu "correct", *but* switches on "snap to grid" (which I utterly loathe and despise). So, I switch that off since there's no longer a GUI setting, using this;

gsettings set org.nemo.desktop use-desktop-grid false

And *that* makes the right-click menu go back to the "old" (no "Customise") version.

Since I care a lot less about the menu than "snap to grid", (what weirdo thought *that* was a good idea?), I'll live with the broken menu.

Now all I have to do is arrange my desktop back the way *I* want it, for the umpteenth time. :(

Thanks anyway,

Z.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

No worries - yeah the legacy system is basically deprecated in Cinnamon 4. I guess the option to turn of the grid is still only in dconf for compatibility. All of the options in the Customise GUI are grid specific so if you turn of the grid in dconf there is nothing to Customise and the menu item is not available.

Icons will default to the default icon view size in Nemo preferences, but I've just noted the icon resize functionality is available via right-click on the icon in this mode.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Zumbruk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zumbruk »

Thanks for that. I have the icons the size I want after fiddling with User Interface Scaling (4K screen) and Nemo preferences. I just couldn't get them where I wanted them. If there was some way to remove the "Sort by Name" option, that would be good, since I occasionally select it by mistake and 20 minutes of cursing ensues.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Zumbruk wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:48 am If there was some way to remove the "Sort by Name" option, that would be good, since I occasionally select it by mistake and 20 minutes of cursing ensues.
Sorry I don't think so.
Zumbruk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zumbruk »

And finally, even with Snap to Grid switched off, icons don't land where I drop them. I'm seriously beginning to wonder why I sold my Mac.

Return to “Cinnamon”