loss of right click menu on Cinnamon Desktop

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cybervulcan

loss of right click menu on Cinnamon Desktop

Post by cybervulcan »

I have encountered a strange one here I have Linux Mint 18.3 after an abortive attempt to install an animated wallpaper program I lost the right click menu on my desktop only the right click menu works fine in nemo and other programs. I have totally removed the animated wallpaper program all other functions are fine. The most demand on video subsystem is online video streaming with Amazon, no Flash player or anything like that. Any ideas anybody?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: loss of right click menu on Cinnamon Desktop

Post by smurphos »

Try Alt-F2 to bring up the run dialog, enter nemo-desktop and press enter.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

did you lose the entire rightclick menu or just most of the items on it? i ask cause if you hide your desktop icons you lose almost all the context menu items for the desktop. i'be mentioned this in another thread. ti's something i consider a bug, but it's done by design.
cybervulcan

Post by cybervulcan »

I always hide all desktop icons and the context menu on the desktop has entirely disappeared however I can still access all functions thru the Mint menu and the context menu within Nemo and other programs
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

cybervulcan wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:51 am I always hide all desktop icons and the context menu on the desktop has entirely disappeared however I can still access all functions thru the Mint menu and the context menu within Nemo and other programs
while it's nice to navigate to desktop via nemo a lot of times it's just extra steps that should not have to be taken. things that should always be available when you rightclick directly on the desktop regardless if one does or doesn't hide their desktop icons.

scan for threats(if you have security software installed)
change desktop background
create a new launcher here
open in terminal
open as root
customize
paste
cybervulcan

Post by cybervulcan »

I tried Alt F2 this could not find the desktop
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Please try running nemo-desktop in a terminal window and report back any output.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
cybervulcan

Post by cybervulcan »

command run here is the result
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
sys:1: Warning: g_object_weak_unref: couldn't find weak ref 0x7fd699e0a700(0x100f410)
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Not seen that before and a search of the error message is not productive for nemo specific solutions. There is this issue https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/1358 but it's unresolved and not directly related to your situation.

Nemo-desktop is running - I guess the second error came up when you right clicked?

Try apt install -reinstall nemo then reboot.

If that doesn't work please run

apt install wmctrl

and then provide the output of wmctrl -l. This should hopefully tell us if there is anything still running that could be conflicting with nemo-desktop for control of the desktop.

What was the animated wallpaper program?
cybervulcan

Post by cybervulcan »

This the first command apt install -reinstall nemo
E: Command line option 'r' [from -reinstall] is not understood in combination with the other options.

This is the second command
wmctrl -l
0x04000013 0 System-Terminal Smb4K
0x05200001 0 System-Terminal loss of right click menu on Cinnamon Desktop - Linux Mint Forums - Google Chrome
0x0520000f 0 System-Terminal Google Hangouts - cybervulcan@gmail.com
0x06800006 0 System-Terminal cmdr@System-Terminal ~

The animated wallpaper program is called Korombii
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

cybervulcan wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:53 pm This the first command apt install -reinstall nemo
E: Command line option 'r' [from -reinstall] is not understood in combination with the other options.
Sorry my typo - the command should have been apt install --reinstall nemo
cybervulcan wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:53 pm 0x04000013 0 System-Terminal Smb4K
0x05200001 0 System-Terminal loss of right click menu on Cinnamon Desktop - Linux Mint Forums - Google Chrome
0x0520000f 0 System-Terminal Google Hangouts - cybervulcan@gmail.com
0x06800006 0 System-Terminal cmdr@System-Terminal ~
No desktop window running - try this again after the nemo reinstall and reboot

You are not alone in Komorebi causing breakage - viewtopic.php?f=90&t=282408&p=1558482&h ... i#p1558482

Edit to add also run these commands to fix some things the Komorebi uninstall script doesn't do quite right that might be part of the issue. You might need to pick your desktop-background again after doing this.

gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons
gsettings reset org.nemo.desktop show-desktop-icons
gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri
gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.background picture-options
rm ~/.config/autostart/komorebi.desktop
cybervulcan

Post by cybervulcan »

Neither command worked and still no desktop is running I did attempt the rm korembi desktop no effect I did not try the other commands you suggest because I display no icons on my desktop and I can change desktop backgrounds accessing this service from the system settings.
cybervulcan

Post by cybervulcan »

I further performed the desktop icon commands you mention this seems to have done the trick I have desktop icons back when I turn them on and the context menu on the desktop. Thanks for the assistance
smudge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by smudge »

I did the following to reset back to normal.

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get --purge remove komorebi
$ gsettings reset org.nemo.desktop show-desktop-icons
Been a hard core Linux and FOSS user since mid '90s. Enjoy pen-testing, OSINT and user privacy. Mint, CentOS, Arch, Kali, and Parrot distros. Started with Mandrake and Suse before Redhat then Fedora. Must post more..
DavidiaN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DavidiaN »

smudge wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:20 pm I did the following to reset back to normal.

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get --purge remove komorebi
$ gsettings reset org.nemo.desktop show-desktop-icons
That worked! Thank youu so much. :)
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Komorebi should be big and visible in the title ...

Return to “Cinnamon”