how to disable distracting tooltips?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alfonz19
Level 1
Level 1

how to disable distracting tooltips?

Post by alfonz19 »

On bottom of the screen there is task bar. When I leave mouse on some button, tooltip appears. It's really annoying and I would like to turn it off. This question was asked again and again over years, but no clickable solution seems to exist yet, and old 'fixes' does not seem to work any more.

gtk-enable-tooltips = 0
does not work any more

and neither does workaround mentioned here:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/4549

Is there any way how to do that?
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: how to disable distracting tooltips?

Post by smurphos »

The workaround still work fines for regular tooltips. Are you editing the correct cinnamon.css? It needs to be the one for your current desktop theme and some themes will have more than one entry for #Tooltip - you need to delete any additional ones.

If you are using the grouped-window-list applet in Cinnamon 4 / Mint 19.1 you will also see window previews for open apps. Right click on the applet > preferences > configure. Navigate to the thumbnails tab and select click to show thumbnails. You can't fully disable them in this applet - otherwise you wouldn't be able to select a window when grouping was on and you had multiple instances.

Similarly if you are using the regular window-list applet, do the same thing except disable show window thumbnail on hover.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
alfonz19
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alfonz19 »

Thanks for confirming that to me. I tried again with rebooting whole system after each change, and was able to disable it. Thanks!

Just a note for potential future reader:

just background color and color, as mentioned in link above did not work for me, had to set also color in border and background gradients. Ie. what article says + every line anyhow related to color. Also article says: find existing or create #Tooltip, but you should do that only below line:

Panel (panel.js)

——
Thanks for help,
it helped me a lot.

M.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Wouldn't it be easier to just autohide the task bar?
Cliff Coggin
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

cliffcoggin wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:12 am Wouldn't it be easier to just autohide the task bar?
lol - replace one major annoyance with a different major annoyance.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
alfonz19
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alfonz19 »

to cliffcoggin: sorry no. Maybe it could work for someone, but not for me, because I have special demands :)

What I need is work environment. Highly customizable so it can max my performance. Therefore all "why don't you just" environments are in trash. I need to see taskbar all the time to AVOID mouse movement and I need to see what's there all the time. Tooltips appear because I click to open some program and left mouse there, and while I'm typing fifth letter already, popup is there blocking my view. So I had to stop work and try to fiddle with mouse.

So autohiding and tooltips and from same rank for me: annoyance/distraction requiring mouse movement. ==> disable.

It might work for someone, but it's not for efficient work.
intrTek_Alan

Post by intrTek_Alan »

alfonz19 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:20 pm to cliffcoggin: sorry no. Maybe it could work for someone, but not for me, because I have special demands :)

What I need is work environment. Highly customizable so it can max my performance. Therefore all "why don't you just" environments are in trash. I need to see taskbar all the time to AVOID mouse movement and I need to see what's there all the time. Tooltips appear because I click to open some program and left mouse there, and while I'm typing fifth letter already, popup is there blocking my view. So I had to stop work and try to fiddle with mouse.

So autohiding and tooltips and from same rank for me: annoyance/distraction requiring mouse movement. ==> disable.

It might work for someone, but it's not for efficient work.
Tooltips and popups are the worst thing ever done to software. And, it is the most overdone, over-used, annoyance ever. The genius who came up with it is probably no longer working for Microsoft or in the software industry in general. Yet, this blunder is with us forevermore.

Return to “Cinnamon”