No previews for movie files

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wifon
Level 1
Level 1

No previews for movie files

Post by wifon »

Hi
I have a problem, I don't see any thumbnails of movie files. By movie files I mean mp4's, mkv, wmv, webm, .ts - these I have noticed so far
Thumbnails are generated only for pictures and pdf files (again, these are the ones I have noticed)
I'm on nearly fresh install of Linux Mint 19.1 as I have installed system from scratch after upgrading to SSD drive at Monday.

Nemo is set to show previews for local files only, with a size limit of 32GB, so size of the files shouldn't be an issue. Even if it would, then why 1-2MB webms don't get previews generated?

Should I install any additional packages to see thumbs?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: No previews for movie files

Post by smurphos »

Can you report the output of inxi -Fxz and apt policy mint-meta-codecs and apt policy xplayer all run in a terminal. Copy the output from the terminal output and paste into your rely in between [code][/code] tags.

At least on Cinnamon xplayer provides the video thumbnailer function by default and needs codecs installed to do so.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

apt install ffmpegthumbnailer if you don't have it
wifon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wifon »

smurphos wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:47 am Can you report the output of inxi -Fxz and apt policy mint-meta-codecs and apt policy xplayer all run in a terminal. Copy the output from the terminal output and paste into your rely in between [code][/code] tags.

At least on Cinnamon xplayer provides the video thumbnailer function by default and needs codecs installed to do so.
Oh lol, now I know what is the issue - installed xplayer and now everything works. As I use mpv to watch movies, xplayer was one of the first things I've removed from my system. Thank you!
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

wifon wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:20 am
smurphos wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:47 am Can you report the output of inxi -Fxz and apt policy mint-meta-codecs and apt policy xplayer all run in a terminal. Copy the output from the terminal output and paste into your rely in between [code][/code] tags.

Oh lol, now I know what is the issue - installed xplayer and now everything works. As I use mpv to watch movies, xplayer was one of the first things I've removed from my system. Thank you!
you'll find smplayer is the best player for linux.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

MrGrimm wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:20 am ... you'll find smplayer is the best player for linux.
Agree 100% but if xplayer (which is the default video player I think) works with no fiddling I'd go with that solution. I suspect it has better integration with the DE for such things.

BTW SMplayer is a front end for mpv now, though you can install mplayer and use that instead. That's what I do because it works as well for me and I know the settings better. If you're talking about old hardware mplayer may be a better bet anyway, mpv has broken a lot of compatibility with old machines.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

see i've checked out mplayer itself and for my personal taste sm does the trick. yea someone just suggest switching in settings on sm to mpv and when i did it dropped my volume through the floor.

Return to “Cinnamon”