Fullscreen applications start on the wrong monitor under certain conditions.

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Megabobster

Fullscreen applications start on the wrong monitor under certain conditions.

Post by Megabobster »

I hope this is the right place to post such an issue. If not, please direct me to where I should post! I searched and could not find any information on this, but please let me know if I missed something.

I'm running Mint 19.1 Cinnamon. Linux kernel 4.20. I have three monitors. Left is 1920x1200@60hz, center is 1440x900@75hz, right is 1920x1080@60hz. I use the center monitor as my primary monitor because it's the best I have, despite being lower resolution. When I start a fullscreen game (Rocket League and Civilization V have been my test applications), it starts on the right monitor instead of the center, while still running at the correct 1440x900 resolution. After the application has started, if I disable fullscreen and move it to the center, then reenable it, it stays in fullscreen on the correct (center) monitor until its next start.

Things I have troubleshooted:
  • The Display settings GUI is working correctly (though it lacks a refresh rate option from what I can see). Manually running the following command to manually set my desired settings still produces the same results. $ xrandr --output DVI-D-0 --auto --rate 75 --mode 1440x900 --primary --output HDMI-A-0 --auto --rate 60 --mode 1920x1200 --left-of DVI-D-0 --output DisplayPort-0 --auto --rate 60 --mode 1920x1080 --right-of DVI-D-0
  • If I set the left monitor as primary, games correctly start on it and not any monitor to the right.
  • Xfce does not have the issue. The games correctly start on the center monitor. However, I prefer Cinnamon for a number of reasons and would like to stick to it, even just for games.
  • It should not be a problem with which monitors are plugged into which ports on my graphics card.
  • It should not be a problem with the order of the monitors in the xrandr command.
  • It should not be a problem with the graphics card or driver. I had the issue on an HD7870 with both the radeon and amdgpu drivers, and on my new RX580 with amdgpu.
  • I've successfully upgraded from Mint 18.3 to 19 to 19.1, and none of those upgrades have resolved the issue.
  • I've tried using a few different kernel versions using ukuu and the problem persists.
So I think that the problem boils down to Cinnamon (or something in Cinnamon) not liking that my center monitor is lower resolution. Does anyone have any suggestions? Potential fixes, more things to troubleshoot to narrow it down, etc.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Cinnamon”