Desktop Shortcut to Remote (GNOME account) folder

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CamiloBattilana

Desktop Shortcut to Remote (GNOME account) folder

Post by CamiloBattilana »

Hey folks,
I just started with Linux and it's awesome. My computer is a loot faster than it was with Windows. I'm very happy with the change but some things are naturally harder to figure out.
I've a connection via gnome to my Google Account and therefore my account is in File>Network. My first attempt was to make a link via Ctrl M but I got "The target doesn't support symbolic links" as result. So, I looked it up in the forum and some people in similar issues suggested to use nemo smb in the terminal. So, I tried to to write this in the command prompt

Code: Select all

nemo smb://google-drive://myusername@myhost.edu.ar/
. And the result I got, an error too, this one:

Could not register nemo as a remote: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying
I may not getting something in the answers, since the topics of discussion are similar but with some important differences. That, and mostly because I'm literally a newbie in Linux (so if somebody wanna give me an advice or a book or something to read to get fit I'd also appreciate).

What I want to accomplish, is to make a couple of shortcuts to some folders which are on my remote/account/folder/GDrive (I wanna have all the 'download folders' of my all subjects in one Linux folder, it makes easier to organize pdfs and such).

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Desktop Shortcut to Remote (GNOME account) folder

Post by smurphos »

What path do you see in the Nemo location entry if you navigate to a folder in question. Whatever the path is there should be the path used for your launcher and which you can test via the terminal using nemo /path/ or xdg-open /path/

Hint - the full path location entry is off by default in Nemo - toggle in on and off using Ctrl-L.

What version of Mint / Cinnamon are you using? Next steps to create a desktop launcher will vary if it's 19.1 / Cinnamon 4.0.9 as we have to fix a bug in Cinnamon first. Don't worry its a straightforward fix.

Note the syntax you have tried is specifically for opening remote samba shares i.e a different kind of remote location.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
CamiloBattilana

I'm using Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon. The path is google-drive://mymail@myhost.edu.ar/. Nemo google-drive://mymail@myhost.edu.ar/ does work but xdg- open doesn't. I guess that is something related with my dist version.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Ok - that's fine - that just means that google-drive:// isn't a recognised xdg file-path type - no big deal and I'd chalk that up-to a deficit in Gnome Online Accounts.

So where do you want to create your launchers/shortcuts or are you all set on that part?

If on the desktop and you don't get a dialog window when you right click and select create a new launcher here then you need to apply the fix outlined in my comment here.....https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/8275

Its a bug in Cinnamon 4.0.9 which has been fixed in the source code but an update hasn't been rolled out yet including the fix. To apply the fix in advance via patch the commands are

Download the patch file

wget https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/files/2781704/cinnamon-desktop-editor-c42a03a.py.patch.zip
Unzip it

unzip cinnamon-desktop-editor-c42a03a.py.patch.zip
Apply the patch.

sudo patch /usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-desktop-editor/cinnamon-desktop-editor.py < cinnamon-desktop-editor-c42a03a.py.patch
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
CamiloBattilana

I'm trying to create the shortcuts in /home/naza/Downloads. Is the same thing? If so, seems like 'create a new launcher' it isn't available in Nero.
I made a Desktop-Launcher of a folder via

nemo google-drive://mymail@myhost.edu.ar.....
an it's okay, I can open the Drive folder when I click on it in the desktop. But when I download a file I can click on the launcher to locate the folder there.

Edit: It looked like a very simple task, but might be harder than I thought (I didn't find any solution yet). Did anybody try overGrive? I'm thinking about buying it. Is not as cute as Insyinc. But at least is not hell expensive.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

CamiloBattilana wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:59 am I'm trying to create the shortcuts in /home/naza/Downloads. Is the same thing? If so, seems like 'create a new launcher' it isn't available in Nero.
I made a Desktop-Launcher of a folder via

nemo google-drive://mymail@myhost.edu.ar.....
an it's okay, I can open the Drive folder when I click on it in the desktop. But when I download a file I can click on the launcher to locate the folder there.

Edit: It looked like a very simple task, but might be harder than I thought (I didn't find any solution yet). Did anybody try overGrive? I'm thinking about buying it. Is not as cute as Insyinc. But at least is not hell expensive.
Yep the create new launcher dialog isn't intended for use in regular folders. It can be enabled though.

A couple of solutions.

1) Just use the Bookmark feature with the sidebar in Places mode to always have a shortcut to the folders you want in the left hand pane of nemo, and don't worry about putting links/launchers in Downloads. It's what the bookmarks feature is intended for. Use Bookmarks from the toolbar. Ctrl-D is the keyboard shortcut to add the current folder to the bookmarks.

2) Create your launcher on the Desktop and copy/paste into Download in Nemo.

3) Manually create a launcher. Create a blank document in Downloads, open in a text editor and add the following. Exec= is the command to run. Name is the display name. Save.

[Desktop Entry]
Name=
Exec=
Comment=
Terminal=false
Icon=folder
Type=Application
4) Enable create a launcher right click in folders.

In a terminal window run

sudo nano /usr/share/nemo/actions/new-launcher.nemo_action
In the resulting terminal based text editor navigate using the arrow keys to the line that says

Conditions=desktop;
and change it to

#Conditions=desktop;
Press Ctrl-O followed by Enter to save and then Ctrl-X to exit.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

CamiloBattilana wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:59 am might be harder than I thought (I didn't find any solution yet). Did anybody try overGrive? I'm thinking about buying it. Is not as cute as Insyinc. But at least is not hell expensive.
I use rclone - it's free. It's not the easiest to set up (CLI only) but once up and running you can just have Google Drive mounted as a completely regular folder. It's much quicker than Gnome Online Accounts.

https://rclone.org/
skomo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skomo »

smurphos wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:44 am
CamiloBattilana wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:59 am might be harder than I thought (I didn't find any solution yet). Did anybody try overGrive? I'm thinking about buying it. Is not as cute as Insyinc. But at least is not hell expensive.
I use rclone - it's free. It's not the easiest to set up (CLI only) but once up and running you can just have Google Drive mounted as a completely regular folder. It's much quicker than Gnome Online Accounts.

https://rclone.org/
Hi, reading your post i tried rclone and i'm impressed. It's fast and easy to use, so i want to thank you! But now i have a problem, i'd like to automount at boot the remote folder, but i don't find how to do this. Could you help me please?
Current Machine ==> Matebook D13 2020 Linux Mint 20 5.8.0-29-generic
Ryzen 5 3500U with Vega 8 graphics

Previous Machine ==> Linux Mint 19.3 5.3.0-26-generic
AMD E2-6110 with R2 graphics (i loved it!)

Return to “Cinnamon”