[Solved] 19.1 sometimes freezes when not active

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mobc

[Solved] 19.1 sometimes freezes when not active

Post by mobc »

Hi,

I recently installed Linux MInt 19.1 on a brand new NUC.
Everything works great except that if the machine is left unused for some time it sometimes freezes with the display off, only power cycle of the NUC takes it out of freeze.

My power settings are to "Never" turn the screen off, and "never" to suspend.
The screen saver is set to start after 10 Minutes.

https://termbin.com/tw2r
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: 19.1 sometimes freezes when not active

Post by deepakdeshp »

Try
sudo pm-suspend
command. If same problem repeats, it means it's a suspend problem.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
mobc

Post by mobc »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:45 am Try
sudo pm-suspend
command. If same problem repeats, it means it's a suspend problem.
thank you for replying,

I tried the suspend and it works fine.
also suspend results in the power button slowly blinking, while when my NUC freezes the power button is constantly on.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Pleas install ukuu, using which you can install highest series of 4.19 kernel. Reboot and test for the problem. If this kernel doesn't work, you can revert to the older kernel by choosing advanced options in the grub.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please see the last post about the mouse.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=277841
Regards,
Deepak

mobc

Post by mobc »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:33 pm Pleas install ukuu, using which you can install highest series of 4.19 kernel. Reboot and test for the problem. If this kernel doesn't work, you can revert to the older kernel by choosing advanced options in the grub.
I will try and report back, the problem is that the freeze happens at long intervals (up to 2 days)
mobc

Post by mobc »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:35 pm Please see the last post about the mouse.
Although the problem description is different from mine, I have the problem of freeze only then the computer at idle, I am attaching a wired mouse and will report back.

thanks
mobc

Post by mobc »

mobc wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:59 pm
deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:35 pm Please see the last post about the mouse.
Although the problem description is different from mine, I have the problem of freeze only then the computer at idle, I am attaching a wired mouse and will report back.

thanks
the freeze happens with a wired mouse also, therefore I don't think I share the same problem as the thread above.
mobc

Post by mobc »

mobc wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:57 pm
deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:33 pm Pleas install ukuu, using which you can install highest series of 4.19 kernel. Reboot and test for the problem. If this kernel doesn't work, you can revert to the older kernel by choosing advanced options in the grub.
I will try and report back, the problem is that the freeze happens at long intervals (up to 2 days)
well after about 2 days I can say that with 4.19 it works fine (no freezes).
thanks deepakdeshp.

I will let it run for a litle longer and if all fine will mark your solution as solved.

Return to “Cinnamon”