[SOLVED] Putting KDE apps into Preferred Applications list

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Micromet
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Putting KDE apps into Preferred Applications list

Post by Micromet » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:59 pm

Is it possible to put KDE applications into the "Preferred application" listing in the System Settings? If so - how?

Specifically I'm trying to get Digikam to act as my preferred application for opening photos (or at least to be on the default list). Strangely - KolourPaint (which is another KDE application) is on the list (and even in the default list rather than "other applications"). This problem is also found in the "Removable Media" prompt for when a camera is connected. This is certainly one area where I want Digikam to act as my photo download app.

I'm running Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa.
Last edited by Micromet on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Micromet
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Putting KDE apps into Preferred Applications list

Post by Micromet » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:50 am

Worked it out eventually: Firstly I had to find out the command to activate Digikam. For this I had to "Show desktop icons..." in System Settings which I had turned off. The a Right-Click on the Digikam icon and into Properties showed command as "digikam -qwindowtitle %c"
Then I looked at the Properties of an individual photo file (e.g. image.jpg) and under the "Open With" tab is the ability to specify "Enter a custom command"
Typed "digikam -qwindowtitle %c" into this space and clicked on "Add to list"

Going back to System Settings - Preferred applications Digikam now appears in the "other application" listing. Clicking on Digikam will also add it to the (recommended) listing at the top of the Preferred applications. And it all works nicely.

Next problem is to find how to add an Application type to the list in the Preferred applications list (similar to the "Other Media" option in the "Removable Media" tab - in my case an application type for PDFs so that I can open these with Okular.

Return to “Cinnamon”