How to change highlight color?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

How to change highlight color?

Post by vistad »

Hello guys,
I am using Mint-Y-Dark-Blue theme and I have a problem seeing the black frame - on dark grey background - that highlights the selected item in the switcher box. I've looked for its color setting in the cinnamon.css - all those switcher-list values, but could not find it. I'd like to make this frame any contrast color that would make it easily noticeable! Yellowgreen would be my favorite color for this frame!
Can someone show me how to change its color?
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint Mate 21.2 64, fanless box with passive cooling
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: How to change highlight color?

Post by smurphos »

Hi Vistad,

Can you screenshot exactly what you are seeing. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'switcher-box'? Are you referring to the Alt-Tab GUI (that's what the switcher-list themeing in cinnamon.css is for). Or maybe the workspace-switcher applet?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vistad »

I meant Alt-Tab GUI - please see the picture:
switcher.jpg
Please find the black frame that is drawn around the central image. I can hardly see it. I want it in different contrasting color to make it clearly visible.
Sorry about the picture quality. It is impossible to take a screenshot of this box.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

That's the Mate Alt-Tab switcher. Not sure why you've posted the question in the Cinnamon sub-forum. cinnamon.css is irrelevant - it themes the equivalent UI elements in Cinnamon but is not used in the Mate desktop at all.

I've just tried a few different themes in Mate and the bounding box is black in all the ones I've tried. I suspect it's hardcoded in Mate and not under the theme control. Had a look at Compiz as-well and the highlight is still black.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vistad »

I've posted it here because on the whole forum only this thread discussed the item of my interest. Besides, though I'm on Mate, I'm using Mint-Y-Dark-Blue theme and it uses cinnamon.css file for its settings. OK, I'll post my question on Mate board.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

vistad wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:41 am I've posted it here because on the whole forum only this thread discussed the item of my interest. Besides, though I'm on Mate, I'm using Mint-Y-Dark-Blue theme and it uses cinnamon.css file for its settings. OK, I'll post my question on Mate board.
I can assure you Mate does not use cinnamon.css for any of it's theming. I did have a bit of a further look into your question and came to the conclusion that it is hardcoded but the the current black only highlight might be a bug in Mate - see - https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/app-swi ... on/17783/4

Return to “Cinnamon”