[SOLVED] How can I change the desktop font size?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] How can I change the desktop font size?

Post by Valsodar »

18.3 has a fonts option to change the fonts and their sizes for desktop, documents and stuff but I can't see that option in 19.1. How can I change them? And why would they remove it in the first place?
Speaking of removed options, there are other options that seem to have disappeared from 19.1. Such as the ability to change the font size of the clock in the bottom right corner. IDK what the idea is here but these limitations only contribute for me to feel Mint 19 more like Windows. Which isn't good...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: How can I change the desktop font size?

Post by Moem »

Valsodar wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:32 am 18.3 has a fonts option to change the fonts and their sizes for desktop, documents and stuff but I can't see that option in 19.1. How can I change them? And why would they remove it in the first place?
If they had removed it, then it would not be possible to change them, so there would be no use in asking how. Your complaint is not only premature, but also illogical, says my inner Mr. Spock. :lol:

Here you go:
fontselection.png
As for the clock, I can't help you there but maybe someone else has an idea. The clock is a part of the Calendar applet, maybe you can replace it by a different one that has more options?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How can I change the desktop font size?

Post by Valsodar »

I found them. It seems the people who translated 19.1 made a mess with translations which completely changed the location of the feature I was looking for. In 18.3 it was "Шрифтове" which was placed nearly at the end of the list with settings and was easier to find. Now it's called "Избор на шрифтове" which places the font changer at the beginning of the list with settings and it would never cross my mind to look for it there. On top of that manually typing "шри" didn't show me results containing these characters (which was the perfect behavior in 18.3) thus making finding of that feature even harder.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: [SOLVED] How can I change the desktop font size?

Post by smurphos »

The failure of the label font size (i.e the clock) to change with panel size is a side effect of the panel revamp allowing icon sizing to be fully user controlled in Cinnamon 4.

I understand allowing the same for labels is on the cards for Cinnamon 4.2 (I think the intention is to make all of the font characteristics currently set in cinnamon.css user controlled which is another big change so I guess didn't make it to 4.0 for lack of time).

In the meantime it's a case of theme editing if the theme set label font sizes look really out of place for your personal panel set up.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Cinnamon”