Problems with Cinnamon and graphical environment after LM19 update / System restoration

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
F2b

Problems with Cinnamon and graphical environment after LM19 update / System restoration

Post by F2b »

Hi,

Could somebody help me a little bit to clean out my crappy system? :lol:

I hope this is the right section. I'm new to this forum ;-)

Here is the situation (it's a long story).
(Edit: I forgot to say: I'm quite new to Linux.)
A couple weeks ago, I decided to upgrade my Linux Mint 18.X (don't actually remember, maybe 18.3) to Linux Mint 19. The upgrade seemed to be successful.
After the upgrade, everything seemed okay too, except some part of the graphical environment (dunno if it's cinnamon or another package, in fact). First, the icons were the old ones, not the new ones, and then, when I put my mouse on the bottom right icons there was a black line appearing at the separation between the taskbar and the desktop, and sometimes the right part of the wallpaper became black too... so there was already something wrong.
So, I said something like "well, maybe I should reinstall cinnamon". And I did so. No, I tried to do so: of course, the command sudo apt-get --reinstall cinnamon didn't work, for some reason (again, I don't remember the error, but it was saying something like "I didn't found the package cinnamon", I didn't really understand). I tried to uninstall it, and then reinstall it, manually (apt-get remove cinnamon, apt-get install cinnamon); the uninstall worked but then I was unable to reinstall it. (Again, it didn't find the right package or something. It suggested another package, but when I tried to install this other package I had the same error but with another package name.)
So at this moment, I had no more desktop environment, only command lines.
I don't really know what I did then but in the end I wasn't able to reinstall what was missing. The rest of the system was working correctly with the command line though.

So, I boot on a LiveUSB of LM 19, I made a disk image of the partition (where there is the system, but also some files, some programs, etc.) and then I made a fresh install of LM19 (I formatted the partition for the reinstall, of course). Now the system is working, but I need to restore my programs and my files.
I tried several things, here are the results:
- If, after a fresh install, I only restore the /home directory, of course the system works... but not perfectly. In fact, I have the same problem as I had just after the update: it's working but the old icons are back and there are the same glitches as described above.
- If, after a fresh install, I only restore the /var and /opt directories, it's all fine.
- If, after a fresh install, I only restore the /etc directory, first the graphical environment doesn't work and I can't run commands as root (it has something to do this the "sudoers" config file"). That's rather logical, since this directory is for config files, and the restored config files may make to files or programs that are not there.

I searched what directories I should restore (generally speaking) but there is no consensus. I found that generally people backup (and restore) /home (obviously), /var, /opt, and sometimes also /srv, /root and /usr/local. I must admit that I didn't searched for the purpose of all of those directories (I know, I should).

I would like some help to:
- figure out, in the /home directory, what is causing the glitches and putting the old icons.
- find what directories I need to restore in order to have all my files and programs back
- if, after the restoration, the system doesn't work properly, what is the origin of the problem

Of course if you need me to try something, or give some further information, there's no problem.
Thank you for reading this, and a big thank to the people who will help me.

F2b.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Problems with Cinnamon and graphical environment after LM19 update / System restoration

Post by Hoser Rob »

So many words, so little info. Copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here (no screenshots plz):

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
F2b

Re: Problems with Cinnamon and graphical environment after LM19 update / System restoration

Post by F2b »

Sorry, as I said, I'm a noob.
Also, sorry for forgetting to precise my hardware config.

For the command, I didn't know if I had to run it on the LiveUSB (since it's mainly displaying informations about the hardware), but what I did is that I restored the backup (where the system worked only in command line). But there was a problem with Grub (I have a dual-boot). So I tried reinstalling the system, but without deleting the partition.
So now, my system is more or less at the same state as it was just after the update: working, but some bugs with the desktop environment. Also, the majority of my programs aren't there, but we'll see that afterwards.

The command output is:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: louis-linuxmint Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64
           bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: laptop System: SAMSUNG product: 3570R/370R/470R/450R/510R/4450RV v: P15RAN serial: N/A
           Mobo: SAMSUNG model: NP370R5E-S02FR v: SEC_SW__1234567890ABCD serial: N/A
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: P15RAN.208.140429.ZW date: 04/29/2014
Battery    BAT1: charge: 30.8 Wh 100.0% condition: 30.8/43.1 Wh (71%)
           model: SAMSUNG SR Real status: Full
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-3210M (-MT-MCP-) 
           arch: Ivy Bridge rev.9 cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9977
           clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 1614 MHz 2: 2475 MHz 3: 2082 MHz
           4: 2494 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mars [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8750M]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting,ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@59.98hz, 1280x1024@75.02hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile
           version: 4.2 Mesa 18.2.2 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Def. Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-20-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2000.4GB (40.4% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM024_HN size: 1000.2GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Transcend size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 96G used: 71G (78%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0C mobo: 54.0C gpu: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 200 Uptime: 1:20 Memory: 1288.9/7862.8MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56 

AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

find what directories I need to restore in order to have all my files and programs back
You need to re-install all your favourite programs, generally the versions available for LM19 will be later than the versions you were running under 18.x. For me this is what takes the time when I do a major upgrade, eg. LM17 -> LM18 or LM18 -> LM19. Your files/data will be in /home which you have restored.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
F2b

Post by F2b »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:50 pm
find what directories I need to restore in order to have all my files and programs back
You need to re-install all your favourite programs, generally the versions available for LM19 will be later than the versions you were running under 18.x. For me this is what takes the time when I do a major upgrade, eg. LM17 -> LM18 or LM18 -> LM19. Your files/data will be in /home which you have restored.
Well... It sounds quite weird when you're not used to it. But since all the important data is in /home it's okay. Thank you for this information, I wasn't aware of this.

So we're almost okay. I just have to fix cinnamon (not sure if it's cinnamon or another program though), I'll try the reinstall command when I'm back home and if there's still an error I'll put it here.
Last edited by F2b on Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

F2b wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:05 pm So we're almost okay. I just have to fix cinnamon (not sure if it's cinnamon or another program though), I'll try tye reinstall command when I'm back home and if there's still an error I'll put it here.
After restoring your home try right click on the Panel > Troubleshoot > Restore all Settings to Default to reset Cinnamon settings to default for the current version.

If you are using any custom themes or icon sets stored in your home folder (look in ~/.themes, ~/.icons, ~./local/share/themes and ~./local/share/icons) remove them.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
F2b

Post by F2b »

Okay, thanks.

- Restore settings to default --> done, nothing changed unfortunately
- the folders you mentionned were already empty, so I had nothing to delete

Also, I tried the command sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon to see if I still have the error message, but I don't have it anymore (good thing). Other than that, it didn't change anything since (if I remember well) this doesn't remove the config files. Maybe purge cinnamon (or any other package, if you have suggestions) and then install manually?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Don't try and purge Cinnamon you will kill your newly installed system.

This sounds like a graphics driver issue. Unfortunately I'm not the person to help with AMD/ATI driver issues but someone might be able to help.

First thing I would try is applying all updates including kernel..
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, F2b.

In the end of the long story, which you told in your initial post, you had done a fresh installation of Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon.
Fine.

Next you restored the complete /home subdirectory tree, which you had backed up on your old system, to your new system.
Doing so will restore all your users' configuration files for all software packages, including your old system's Cinnamon settings.
This is why on the new Mint 19 Cinnamon system, Cinnamon used the old Cinnamon theme and icon set, which are still present in the new Cinnamon.

Finally you started restoring (random) system directories from your old system to your new system, like /etc, /opt, /usr/local, /var.
This was a really bad idea.
By doing so you overwrite parts of the newly installed consistent software packages state with old software packages from the old system.
The result will be an inconsistent mixture of both.

My advice would be:
Start all over from scratch I.e. re-install Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon from the live system again.
Only restore the content of your old /home directory.
The Cinnamon theme and iconsets will be the old ones again. Yet, you can switch to a different theme and iconset using System Settings.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Cinnamon”