2nd Monitor Problems

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
floweringmind
Level 2
Level 2

2nd Monitor Problems

Post by floweringmind » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:49 pm

One of my monitors is 27inch and my main monitor is 32inch. I am running into many problems:

1. Fonts display bigger on my smaller monitor.
2. Both monitors are aligned with their bottom edge, but when I move the mouse between each monitor there is a lip. If my mouse is moving along the bottom on my bigger monitor I hit the edge and can't move my mouse into the smaller monitor, unless I move the mouse up a little. I have tried move them around in the display and it doesn't fix the issue. My smaller monitor appears to always sit a little lower than my bigger monitor.
3. Windows will some time open as if they expected to open on the bigger monitor and the titlebar will be off the top of the screen. I have to manually right-click the icon on my bar and tell it to move the window to my bigger monitor and then manually move the window back.
Full size image here: https://i.postimg.cc/G2qZLP6F/Screensho ... -36-06.png

floweringmind
Level 2
Level 2

2nd Monitor Problems Continue

Post by floweringmind » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:11 am

I turn off my secondary monitor. But the system remembers the application loading on my secondary monitory and will load the application into the secondary monitor even though it is off. This is totally unusable until you turn your secondary monitor back on.

I can't let my monitors go to sleep otherwise the secondary will just be black and my main monitor will flicker on and off.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: 2nd Monitor Problems

Post by catweazel » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:36 am

floweringmind wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:49 pm
One of my monitors is 27inch and my main monitor is 32inch. I am running into many problems:

1. Fonts display bigger on my smaller monitor.
2. Both monitors are aligned with their bottom edge, but when I move the mouse between each monitor there is a lip. If my mouse is moving along the bottom on my bigger monitor I hit the edge and can't move my mouse into the smaller monitor, unless I move the mouse up a little. I have tried move them around in the display and it doesn't fix the issue. My smaller monitor appears to always sit a little lower than my bigger monitor.
3. Windows will some time open as if they expected to open on the bigger monitor and the titlebar will be off the top of the screen. I have to manually right-click the icon on my bar and tell it to move the window to my bigger monitor and then manually move the window back.
That's what happens when you a) have two monitors at different resolutions, and b) persist in turning one off.

I think that the best you could do is see if you can drop the resolution of the higher res monitor to be the same as the lower res monitor, though your higher res monitor might not like that.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

floweringmind
Level 2
Level 2

Post by floweringmind » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:45 am

catweazel wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:36 am
That's what happens when you a) have two monitors at different resolutions, and b) persist in turning one off.

I think that the best you could do is see if you can drop the resolution of the higher res monitor to be the same as the lower res monitor, though your higher res monitor might not like that.
Love how you blame this on me for having different size monitors and need to turn one off at time.

Your solution is lame and this stuff works on both Mac and Windows. Not everyone has the luxury to have the same size monitors and sometimes you want to turn off the other monitor to watch a movie. Applications shouldn't be launching on a monitor that is off, that is a major bug.

aknickolai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aknickolai » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:03 am

It sucks, but it's not really Mint or cinnamon's fault. All Linux has for this situation currently is work-arounds. You could try display scaling using xrandr (commnad line) and/or arandr to scale either display so there is no disparity between displays. Setting both displays to the same resolution is the easiest. Wayland is supposed to handle such display issues better, but it's not ready for prime time yet.

I agreed that apps should not be launching on a monitor that is powered off. I only use one monitor at a time due to desk space, so I can't help there.

I spent a lot of time trying to get around the monitor issue on Manjaro with KDE and ended up writing Python and bash scripts to help out. It is still far from perfect and just my personal work-around for dealing with different resolutions under Xorg. As long as you are not jumping from standard res to 2K or 4K xrandr/arandr should do the trick - but I still wouldn't want to do graphics work (Kirta, Gimp, etc.) on the scaled display.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:47 am

I have had the same issue with different monitors at different resolutions. Windwoes was no better than Linux in how it handled it. I just learned to live with it. Now I never really notice any issues.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Cinnamon”