What is Win+Space for?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dev0

What is Win+Space for?

Post by dev0 »

I want to use custom shortcut Win+Space, but when i press this, i see preview window from panel:
Selection_004.png
every time when i press Space while holding Win key, preview goes through applications. When i press enter or I release the key, then preview disappears. I don't know how to choose a window in this way or do something with it.

I have 2 questions.

1. What is this feature and how to use it?
2. Where to turn it off?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What is Win+Space for?

Post by tenfoot »

The Win + (I forget the other key) is the default shortcut to open the Menu. As I use the Win key + (something else) for all my keyboard shortcuts, I redefined the shortcut key for opening the Menu by using the key on the bottom of the keyboard - the one between Alt and Ctrl.

To redefine the shortcut key for opening the Menu, click on the Menu icon with the right mouse button pressed and choose Properties. On the window presented you will see Shortcuts. Delete the one shown and enter the one you wish to use.

Note. I am using the Mate DE. This may not apply if you
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

dev0 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:38 am 1. What is this feature and how to use it?
2. Where to turn it off?
It's a Grouped Window List default shortcut. Change it in Grouped Window List settings.

To access right click on a Grouped Window List icon > Preferences > Configure

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
dev0

Post by dev0 »

smurphos, thanks, that's it.
rcassani

Post by rcassani »

Thanks smurphos
warunadmc

Post by warunadmc »

Thanks smurphos. This is a life saver. I was looking for this one, because I had a conflict with m17n input method switching shortcut.. :)
tridy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tridy »

thanks smurphos.
I assigned Win+Space for the keyboard layout switching, and popping out grouped windows preview was a bit annoying.

Return to “Cinnamon”