[SOLVED] What is the command to restart Cinnamon in the applet "restart-cinnamon"?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] What is the command to restart Cinnamon in the applet "restart-cinnamon"?

Post by Valsodar »

I'm using an applet called "Restart Cinnamon" and when Cinnamon is ok, it's perfectly usable. However, sometimes Cinnamon freezes for unknown reasons and when that happens, I can't click that applet in order to restart the DE. So I looked for commands to restart Cinnamon in another way. I found this command $ pkill -HUP -f "cinnamon --replace" but when I used it Cinnamon only displayed a message that it failed and asking me whether I want to restart it, not to mention that the "Yes" button doesn't always work. But that's not the same result as that of the applet in question. When I use the applet to restart the DE, it simply flickers 1-2 seconds and then the whole DE appears without asking me any questions and certainly doesn't show messages about having failed. So, if anyone knows the exact command sent by that applet, I'd appreciate it if they shared it, so that I can make a shortcut key of it.
Last edited by Valsodar on Fri May 03, 2019 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, Corsair CX750 PSU, Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600, Corsair Force LE 120GB, 2xSSD = 610 GB, 1xHDD = 1TB, Waterfox-Current, (rolling) Arch Cinnamon
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Re: What is the command to restart Cinnamon in the applet "restart-cinnamon"?

Post by rene »

Try Ctrl-Alt-Esc
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What is the command to restart Cinnamon in the applet "restart-cinnamon"?

Post by Valsodar »

Ha, that works! I didn't even know there was already a shortcut for it. :o Now all I have to do is to find it and set more convenient keys for it.

Thanks, rene. :)
AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, Corsair CX750 PSU, Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600, Corsair Force LE 120GB, 2xSSD = 610 GB, 1xHDD = 1TB, Waterfox-Current, (rolling) Arch Cinnamon

Return to “Cinnamon”