Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
macbeto
Level 2
Level 2

Automatic creation of Downloads folder

Post by macbeto »

Hi,
I have a downloads folder named in my language at the personal folder. All my apps are pointing to that foldel in case I need to download anything, like my browser or telegram, but the system is creating automatically a download folder in english language. I delete that folder, but after sometime it comes again, so basically I have 2 folders for downloads at the personal folder, the one used for downloads (named downloads in my language) and another (in english language) which is not used and comes over and over again although I delete it.
Can I know somehow what application or system script is creating automatically that folder in order to change that name on the code of that application to avoid the creation of a useless folder?
Thanks
Last edited by macbeto on Sun May 05, 2019 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Auromatic creation of Downloads folder

Post by gm10 »

These default folders:

Code: Select all

~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
get created in this language:

~/.config/user-dirs.locale
I suggest you stick to those since many applications expect them to exist but if you do not want to then disabling the "User Folders Update" entries in Mint menu > Startup Applications will prevent their re-creation.
macbeto
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Automatic creation of Downloads folder

Post by macbeto »

Hi gm10,
Thanks for the quick answer.
My file user-dirs.dirs doesnt have any reference to the Downloads foder. Looks like this:

XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Escritorio"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/"
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/"
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documentos"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Imágenes"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/"
And the user-dirs.locate only has the prefix of my language.
I dont see how this file creates the Downloads folder.
I had disabled the User folder update for a while but doing it didn't refresh any folder created in nemo, so it wasn't the solution and I enabled again. Besides, executing the command "xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update" or "xdg-user-dirs-update" (which is behind the User folder update) doesn't create that folder.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

macbeto wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:27 am
My file user-dirs.dirs doesnt have any reference to the Downloads foder. Looks like this:

XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/"
Well it does, but pointing to your home folder, which is perfectly fine and shouldn't be the cause of the issue, although I'd try pointing this to your actual download folder, then run the xdg-user-dirs-update / xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update commands (or re-log).

Apart from that my blind guess would be it has to be some app you are using that hardcodes that downloads folder or is otherwise configured to use that path and creates it when it's missing maybe? Afraid I don't have a better answer here.
macbeto
Level 2
Level 2

Post by macbeto »

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer.
I will change it, but my guess is that some app is causing it, but I cant figure out which one.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Assuming you didn't disable it (IIRC Cinnamon does by default), check this file to see if there's a mention of that folder being used:

~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel
it's not a complete record of disk activity, only access through the Gtk libraries gets logged, but maybe you get lucky.
macbeto
Level 2
Level 2

Post by macbeto »

In my case that file is almost empty, so I cant get any info about what application requires to create the Downloads folder.

Return to “Cinnamon”