Don't suspend on lid closed Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
DarknessCrYsiS
Level 1
Level 1

Don't suspend on lid closed Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

Post by DarknessCrYsiS » Tue May 07, 2019 4:54 pm

I want to be able to close the lid of the laptop without the computer suspending. I could do it in Linux Mint 17.3, when I do the steps suggested here I cannot close the computer and connect to another monitor and see the same as I was seen in the screen of the laptop. What would you recommend? I could go back to 17.3 it all seemed to work nice.

* Edit /etc/UPower/UPower.conf and change the IgnoreLid to true:

Code: Select all

IgnoreLid=true
* Then edit /etc/systemd/logind.conf, uncomment the HandleLidSwitch and change it to ignore:

Code: Select all

HandleLidSwitch=ignore
* Then reboot.

DarknessCrYsiS
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Don't suspend on lid closed Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

Post by DarknessCrYsiS » Wed May 08, 2019 5:04 am

A possible workaround that works fine but looks awful is mirrored monitors. Then, after using the previous steps, you can have the not suspend on lid close working and use an external monitor. A pity 17.3 no longer receives security updates, I'm going to have to go back if I can't get the proper monitor resolution working.

DarknessCrYsiS
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DarknessCrYsiS » Wed May 22, 2019 6:40 am

I've installed Linux Mint 17.3 and now it says that it's working on software rendering mode. I guess there's no problem in running it like that?

Please let me know if the lid close action works on a future version, I won't be upgrading until then.

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:40 pm

There is an applet (Inhibit Applet) that can block power management features and notifications but unfortunately it's too simple.It cannot tell apart internal display from an external one and work separately on one or another. So using an external monitor would also keep the internal one lit, which would be a waste of power and hardware.

I believe we need a much more fine-grained subsystem that would allow independent settings for each connected display, and then applications would have to detect and use it wisely, or at least allow the user to select appropriate options according to their needs.

Personally I stumbled into this issue while trying to watch a movie on an external monitor, and when leaving the notebook to download overnight over P2P: the internal monitor remains lit if lid not fully closed, or machine goes to sleep if lid fully closed; that is because those applications (VLC, SMPlayer, Transmission, qBittorrent) inhibit power management completely, not selectively, but lid options override them all. My opinion is that none of the developers bother to test the OS and/or applications in "non-standard" configurations or situations. And I don't only refer to this issue at hand but to many others I stumbled into, most of which Windows is capable to handle very easily (such as network sharing with [older] Windows machines,configuring a non-standard USB modem like ZTE K4607-Z, configuring multi-monitor environment and others).

So yeah, I'd like to see a richer selection of options for what to do on lid close:
[_] go to sleep
[_] stand by all monitors
[x] stand by monitors except the one with an active/full screen window
[x] ignore mouse movement on active monitor

I wouldn't hold my breath on this though.

Return to “Cinnamon”