Some feedback about Cinnamon 4.x

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Some feedback about Cinnamon 4.x

Post by Valsodar »

In Cinnamon 3.8 and older versions the text in tray (such as calendar, kb layout) was resized according to the panel size which was a very convenient feature.
In Cinnamon 4.x I noticed you have removed that feature and the text remains microscopic (12px or so) no matter what size the user has set for the panel. IDK why you did that. Removing features indicates bad attitude towards the users and I'm not the only one who thinks so - I know that for a fact. But I'm a stubborn donkey and I don't give up until I get what I want, especially when it comes to Cinnamon. Which I did (screenshot). But I don't understand why do you have to remove features in the first place?

AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i3-4170, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, Corsair CX750 PSU, Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600, Corsair Force LE 120GB, WD Caviar Blue + Green = 1.5TB, Firefox 65+ x64, 5.0.13-arch1-1-ARCH Cinnamon

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Some feedback about Cinnamon 4.x

Post by catweazel »

Valsodar wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:05 pm
In Cinnamon 3.8 and older versions the text in tray (such as calendar, kb layout) was resized according to the panel size which was a very convenient feature.
In Cinnamon 4.x I noticed you have removed that feature and the text remains microscopic (12px or so) no matter what size the user has set for the panel. IDK why you did that. Removing features indicates bad attitude towards the users and I'm not the only one who thinks so - I know that for a fact. But I'm a stubborn donkey and I don't give up until I get what I want, especially when it comes to Cinnamon. Which I did (screenshot). But I don't understand why do you have to remove features in the first place?
Cinnamon is now it's own project because it's used by other distributions. Your comments might be seen by the devs on the Cinnamon github pages: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon

We rarely get devs here as these are support forums.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

catweazel wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:33 pm
Cinnamon is now it's own project because it's used by other distributions. Your comments might be seen by the devs on the Cinnamon github pages: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon

We rarely get devs here as these are support forums.
Thanks, cat, I didn't know that. I've always thought Cinnamon is developed by the same team that makes Mint. Mostly because on github Cinnamon is a subpage of linuxmint.
AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i3-4170, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, Corsair CX750 PSU, Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600, Corsair Force LE 120GB, WD Caviar Blue + Green = 1.5TB, Firefox 65+ x64, 5.0.13-arch1-1-ARCH Cinnamon

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

Valsodar wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:05 pm
Removing features indicates bad attitude towards the users and I'm not the only one who thinks so - I know that for a fact.
Beware of conflating 'let's annoy the users by removing a feature' with 'oops, we forget to consider this aspect when we revamped a related feature'.

I don't think it's a deliberate removal of the feature it just fell by the wayside when the panel settings were revamped to allow users more control over how icons are sized on the 19.1 panel. The dev's have acknowledged the issue and last I heard the plan was to revert control of panel font attributes from the cinnamon theme and presumably give the end-user a GUI to set these. Whether or not that makes it into the next release we will see as I think it will be a fairly big job.

It's still on the roadmap of 19.2 - https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap#linux-mint-192 -
artwork considerations:
text-size to be configurable in panel zones?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Cinnamon”