Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
anthony_forrester
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 19 + Cinnamon Lagging Menu and Interface

Post by anthony_forrester » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:28 pm

Hi All,

This is my first post. I have used this site to fix many (if not all issues) I have had over the years with my Linux installations and now I am stumped.

I am noticing a lot of lag with the GUI especially when using the Cinnamon Main Menu and scrolling through the applications list and/or using the search in the menu. This lag also continues through in Firefox (Both Quantum Dev 68.0b(4 and 7) and Quantum 67 ) and other applications.

My main HD is an m2 that has the clean install of Mint 19 (installed 2-3 weeks ago - I didn't notice the lag to begin with but now after using it it is prevalent). I have a 2nd internal SSD that I store my data on (this HD also has a previous installation of Linux mint 19.1 that I am yet to uninstall) and an external mechanical HD that I use for Timeshift and CrashPlan backups.

I have search for the last few weeks to find a solution to no avail.

I believe I have done all the "usual" performance checks / tweaks e.g. turning off all windows effects etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am sorry if I havn't posted this in the correct category, or, if I haven't given enough information about the question. If you need any more information let me know!

Thanks in advance.
Anthony

Code: Select all

XXXXXX-XXXXXX@XXXXXXXXXX:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: flatout-Aspire-F5-573 Kernel: 4.15.0-51-generic x86_64
           bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Acer product: Aspire F5-573 v: V1.04 serial: N/A
           Mobo: Acer model: Captain_SK v: V1.04 serial: N/A
           UEFI [Legacy]: Insyde v: V1.04 date: 04/26/2016
Battery    BAT1: charge: 27.6 Wh 100.0% condition: 27.6/41.4 Wh (67%)
           model: PANASONIC AS16A5K status: Full
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-6200U (-MT-MCP-) 
           arch: Skylake rev.3 cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9600
           clock speeds: max: 2800 MHz 1: 2700 MHz 2: 2792 MHz 3: 2699 MHz
           4: 2797 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520] bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.02hz, 3440x1440@49.99hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.8 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-51-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: ath10k_pci bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 03:00.1
           IF: enp3s0f1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2740.5GB (7.1% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Crucial_CT500MX2 size: 500.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: KINGSTON_SA400M8 size: 240.1GB
           ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: Elements_25A1 size: 2000.4GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 220G used: 19G (9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 42.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 205 Uptime: 28 min Memory: 2085.7/15915.4MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56 

Frankincense
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 19 + Cinnamon Lagging Menu and Interface

Post by Frankincense » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:37 pm

I believe I have the same lag/stuttering issue too after I upgraded to 19.1 a couple of weeks ago. I fine that Cinnamon is causing stuttering over the whole OS affecting Firefox and games as well, my only solution has been to restart Cinnamon when its an issue (every hour or so) which resolves it for a while

hgonomeg
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 19 + Cinnamon Lagging Menu and Interface

Post by hgonomeg » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:25 am

Oh man I've got the same thing. Every graphical application stutters.
I think I've always had really minor stuttering from time to time but after a recent update (xorg update is the only potential cause I can think of) it got a lot worse so that not only is this noticible but also renders my linux setup unusable for certain things (mainly gaming and watching videos). This stuttering includes every single graphical application. Windows randomly stop refreshing and temporarily ignore any user input. The duration of those freezes ranges from just a couple of frames (monitor @59.94Hz) up to something like quarter of a second. Playing of audio does not seem to be affected. I use GeForce 980 TI with the nvidia-430 driver. I run Cinnamon DE and Muffin WM. I tried switching to the nouveau driver and then I'd get the same kind of stuttering which only intensified over time (up to a point). It is definitely not a performance problem of my hardware nor anything that has to do with overheating. The only possible cause that comes to my head is the recent xorg update. Please help!

Updates:

All windows seem to stop to be drawn simultaneously. It's system-wide. No exceptions to that.
It is a distro specific issue. I've tried booting Manjaro Cinnamon (which also relies on Muffin and lightdm) live CD on my PC and guess what! The problem with stuttering was gone! I chose to use nonfree drivers on Manjaro so that I could get the same setup (xorg, muffin, lightdm, Cinnamon + nvidia drivers ) with the only difference being the distro itself along with unavoidably different versions of packages and their own modified kernel. On Manjaro - no stuttering. On Mint - stuttering. Now the decision of what to do know might seem obvious... if only I could actually install Manjaro because even though my dmraid disk arrays are visible in the live session, the installer cannot see them (can't pick them as the storage medium i. e. where the / is mounted) and therefore it would destroy my disk array during an installation attempt. I will therefore experiment with openSUSE Tumbleweed with which I've had a good experience on a different machine.

And this why I am currently moving from Mint to openSUSE. I wasn't able to solve this on Mint.

Mint 19.1
xorg 1.19.x
Cinnamon 4.0.x
nvidia-430 + GeForce 980Ti
kernel 4.15.x

Return to “Cinnamon”