[SOLVED] Which file stores the list displayed in the 'Recent Files' Menu in Cinnamon?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
SilentBlue
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Which file stores the list displayed in the 'Recent Files' Menu in Cinnamon?

Post by SilentBlue » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:08 am

It is not the first time that this happens to me: after a reboot, information about recently accessed files is lost.

Using a deja-dup backup, I managed to restore the file /home/<user>/.local/share/recently-used.xbel, which allowed me to recover the lists of recently accessed files from the context menus of the applications.

However, restoring this file does not recover the list in the 'Recent Files' Menu of Cinnamon (the list is visible, but not up-to-date).

Which file should I restore to recover this specific list?

I have Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa installed, with Cinnamon 4.0.10.
Last edited by SilentBlue on Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Which file stores the list displayed in the 'Recent Files' Menu in Cinnamon?

Post by karlchen » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:42 am

Hi, Silent Blue.

After the file had been restored, have you tried logging off and logging back in?
Restarting Cinnamon might have the same effect. (There is a keyboard shortcut for it, only restarts Cinnamon, no reboot involved.)
Might be Cinnamon simply did not notice that the file had been modified from outside.

Regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.2 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

SilentBlue
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Which file stores the list displayed in the 'Recent Files' Menu in Cinnamon?

Post by SilentBlue » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:16 pm

Thank you for your response Karl.

I had already rebooted the computer so that was not it.

However, now I realized on closer inspection that the relevant timestamps in recently-used.xbel are not the ones labelled "visited" but the ones labelled "modified". If I look at those timestamps, then indeed the most recently "modified" items are also those present in the 'Recent Files' Menu.

Unexpected... but I guess this answers my question!

Thanks again.

Return to “Cinnamon”