Screen to right and below an app window turns black

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
dnl
Level 2
Level 2

Screen to right and below an app window turns black

Post by dnl »

I am not sure in which forum I should post this issue. Desktops seems most likely but ...

I use my system with a TV. I upgraded the TV to a 4K model and started having problems. When I open a window, the screen to the right and below the top of the window turns black. There are a two things I have discovered that seem to cause the black area to go away.

One is to click on the window as if to move it. The black area goes away (the desktop looks normal) whether I move the window or not. There is an occasional flicker but the black area generally goes away until I release the mouse.

The other is to put the window toward the upper left part of the screen. If the upper-left corner of the window is placed in the left quarter and upper third of the screen, the black area goes away.

I noticed that the black area also includes a narrow border to the left and above the window.

My system is Mint 19.1, Cinnamon desktop.

Do you guys have any thoughts about how to fix this? Perhaps there is some graphic rendering optimization (or acceleration) that is malfunctioning and this problem could be fixed if that could be turned off.
dnl
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Screen to right and below an app window turns black

Post by dnl »

I did some more experimenting and discovered that there is a third way to make the black area go away.

If the original window is covered by a second window that fills the screen horizontally, when the second window is closed, the area to the right and below the original window looks normal (black area is gone). But if a mouse is clicked in the original window, the black area returns.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I am way over my head with this problem. Are there any settings for the desktop or window manager than I can try changing?

Return to “Cinnamon”