Linux Mint doesn't accept my password

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Netherprovinc3
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint doesn't accept my password

Post by Netherprovinc3 »

In the GUI, Linux Mint sometimes doesn't accept my password. Most of the time, I just enter the password a few more times and it works. I have only noticed this happening in the GUI, although I rarely use Terminal for "sudo tasks."

Today, when I was trying to install Virtualbox-ext-pack in software manager, the GUI would simply not accept my password. I typed it about 8 times. I am sure that I was typing it right. Eventually, I pressed cancel and again pressed the install button in software manager and the software started installing, without asking for a password.

This user seems to have had a similar issue:
viewtopic.php?f=238&t=195877&p=1016231& ... +#p1017420
But, I am a little uncomfortable with the procedure that the user used because that was a few years ago and that's on the Debian edition of Linux Mint. I am wary of messing things up as I have only been using Linux on my main computer for a couple of months.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon unless otherwise noted.
deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Linux Mint doesn't accept my password

Post by deepakdeshp »

The keyboard caps lock shouldn't be on, I am sure you would have seen to it.
If something is stuck inside the keyboard, you will get erratic results. You can test if your password keys are working properly by repeatedly typing in writer or text application.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

I had the same issue just the other day. I selected US keyboard but a fresh install reverted to UK. Check keyboard layout from the log-in page?
Netherprovinc3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Netherprovinc3 »

None of that likely explains the occurrence. I have not seen any unexpected behavior in other applications in line with the explanations.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon unless otherwise noted.

Return to “Cinnamon”