how to disable left click menu in tray icons, and making main window appearing instead?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
artik
Level 1
Level 1

how to disable left click menu in tray icons, and making main window appearing instead?

Post by artik » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:46 am

Hello Minters!

Since recently, dev took this bad habbit to add a menu on the left clic tray icon. It looks completly stupid as we need to make 2 clics now for everything to open main windows.

Slack, whatsapp, insync, Skype have now switched to this really annoying behavior (that should be on right click!). Let's try Whatsapp app. I receive a message, and I want to display the window, clicking on it:

What the hell they display a "show" and "quit" menu? Of course show me the window! and I have to make 2 clicks each time I receive a message to display the main windows. All tray app now work like that.

I tried in general settings to desactivate "Enable support for indicators", but doesn't change. Any help to have a normal behavior: I click, window appear, and with a right click, the menu eventually ?

akach
Level 1
Level 1

Re: how to disable left click menu in tray icons, and making main window appearing instead?

Post by akach » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:05 pm

This annoys me too.
The workaround I use is a system shortcut that I put on Super+W key.
It runs this command:
sh -c "/usr/bin/wmctrl -a WhatsApp;/opt/whatsapp-desktop/WhatsApp"

This way WhatsApp windows always brings up to the top

akach
Level 1
Level 1

Re: how to disable left click menu in tray icons, and making main window appearing instead?

Post by akach » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:08 pm

And I've added some more shortcuts also to avoid unnecessary clicks:
- for Skype on Super+S (just runs /usr/bin/skypeforlinux - it bring windows to the top)
- for Telegram on Super+T (runs Telegram app which also brings Telegram window to the top if it's already running)

artik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by artik » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:58 pm

It's a workaround, thanks for the suggestion. But the normal behavior is so unnatural...

Return to “Cinnamon”