Sound effects for extra system events (text box popups)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
VlC
Level 1
Level 1

Sound effects for extra system events (text box popups)

Post by VlC » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:39 am

I moved on to Linux Mint from Windows 10 fairly recently, and while I got it up and running the way I want, there's something that I still miss and that I couldn't solve (even after searching through Google or these forums themselves). My problem is:
How can I make it so a certain sound effect sounds when a system dialog shows up?

With "dialog" I mean the common system text boxes that appear in various occasions. Information text boxes, Warning/Error dialogs, the typical "Do you want to save?" popups, or even the "Aunthentication needed for..." insert-your-password dialogs, etc, etc. A couple of screenshots for even less confusion:
Example of "Authentication needed for..." dialog
Example of "Authentication needed for..." dialog
Example of another dialog
Example of another dialog
Screenshot from 2019-08-18 21-53-13.png (6.58 KiB) Viewed 267 times
These mentioned are mainly the ones that I'd like a sound effect assigned to. In Windows, this was easy to do by going to the "Sound" panel, but I can't seem to find what I need in the same menu in Mint.

Is there any way of doing this sort of thing?

**Not sure what exactly other info I should put; if needed, tell me and I'll be happy to provide it. In the meantime, I'll list this:
System:

Code: Select all

Kernel: 5.0.0-25-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3 Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina 
  base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic

MrEen
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Sound effects for extra system events (text box popups)

Post by MrEen » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:34 pm

Hi VlC, and welcome to the forum.

I use Xfce which has a very different system sounds setup, so I'm guessing here, but try Menu > Preferences > Sound > Sounds tab, and scroll down to and enable Showing notifications. Also make sure the volume is turned up at the top of the window.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Cinnamon”