Why does Nemo keep freezing?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
donblanco
Level 1
Level 1

Why does Nemo keep freezing?

Post by donblanco » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:04 pm

It seems like I have run into some hard limits with Nemo. I've been doing a lot of photo organizing lately, and when I open a folder with a lot of photos, Nemo slows down and then within an hour or so might eventually freeze up. Usually nothing else on my system is affected, but occasionally I have to reboot.

This is *extremely annoying* - especially the part where everything slows down.

This is a pretty new PC with 2+Ghz CPU and 8GB RAM. Should I just use another file manager, or will I be forced to do all photo management with some other app?

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Why does Nemo keep freezing?

Post by Pjotr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:10 pm

Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:42 pm

What version of Cinnamon / Nemo? I came across an apparent Nemo memory leak in current Nemo in Mint 19.2 when doing a mammoth photo organising session a while back, but haven't had an opportunity to try and tie down the steps to reproduce.

Opening a terminal and running nemo -q should fix any slowdown without having to reboot.

Or use Pix for photo management. It's what is for and has basic file manager capabilities in the mix.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

donblanco
Level 1
Level 1

Post by donblanco » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:07 am

smurphos wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:42 pm
What version of Cinnamon / Nemo? I came across an apparent Nemo memory leak in current Nemo in Mint 19.2 when doing a mammoth photo organising session a while back, but haven't had an opportunity to try and tie down the steps to reproduce.

Opening a terminal and running nemo -q should fix any slowdown without having to reboot.

Or use Pix for photo management. It's what is for and has basic file manager capabilities in the mix.
Yeah, I'm on 19.2 w/ Nemo 4.2.3. Thanks for the 'quit' tip.

I have been using Pix mainly for quick crops. I also have XNView MP but I find most of the available photo software to be lacking. I feel like I need a big folder/tagging organization purge. Never organized enough :(

Return to “Cinnamon”