Full screen games revealing desktop pixels along bottom and right edges of screen in Cinnamon on Mint 19.2

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Full screen games revealing desktop pixels along bottom and right edges of screen in Cinnamon on Mint 19.2

Post by Yfrwlf » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:39 pm

So far I've confirmed this problem happens with both the closed source NVIDIA driver as well as open source Mesa for AMD on completely different computers. Problem started after upgrading to Mint 19.2. Anyone else seeing a line of pixels from the desktop background along the right and bottom edges, like the game window has been shifted slightly up and to the left? Some games I don't see the problem with. The problem also ended up going away in one session I was running, but I have no clue yet what I might have done to temporarily fix it. None of the new v-sync settings in 19.2's general settings fixes it.

The issue breaks game immersion and can be quite distracting.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Full screen games revealing desktop pixels along bottom and right edges of screen in Cinnamon on Mint 19.2

Post by smurphos » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:02 am

It's been reported - https://github.com/linuxmint/muffin/issues/530

I get in occasionally as-well - Intel Integrated graphics.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Full screen games revealing desktop pixels along bottom and right edges of screen in Cinnamon on Mint 19.2

Post by Yfrwlf » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:20 am

Thanks! I'd post there but I cancelled my Github account due to the Microsoft acquisition.

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:16 pm

I experience this with one installed game only and use this workaround:

Exit full-screen mode, then use the maximise (+) symbol on the window borders (- + x) and resume full-screen mode.

Alas, all that is gone after closing the program.

Using nvidia driver 390.129.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - 64bit

tb87670
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tb87670 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:45 am

Same problem. Using an EVGA 1060GTX with Nvidia Driver version 430.26 on LinuxMint 19.2 with Cinnamon desktop. Border showing the desktop behind it on the bottom and right side of screen in certain full-screen games. Tried messing with every setting possible, nothing works. It happens in some games like XCOM2 on Steam and yet Tropico 5 is fine. Seems random, Tannenberg I had to mess with some options and it's fine but other games don't have many options like the stuff from Feral Interactive. Glad I'm not only one with this problem, google/bing are not your friends when trying to look this up.

Curious if this happens on MATE desktop. If not I'm willing to reformat to get rid of this problem.

EDIT: Just installed LinuxMint 19.2 MATE and do not have this problem anymore. Can confirm this is specifically an issue with Cinnamon and recommend any Linux gamers to switch to MATE if this issue is affecting you. I recommend a clean install of LM19.2 MATE because lots small issues can crop up installing MATE over Cinnamon.

Return to “Cinnamon”