Full screen games revealing desktop pixels along bottom and right edges of screen in Cinnamon on Mint 19.2

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Full screen games revealing desktop pixels along bottom and right edges of screen in Cinnamon on Mint 19.2

Post by Yfrwlf » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:39 pm

So far I've confirmed this problem happens with both the closed source NVIDIA driver as well as open source Mesa for AMD on completely different computers. Problem started after upgrading to Mint 19.2. Anyone else seeing a line of pixels from the desktop background along the right and bottom edges, like the game window has been shifted slightly up and to the left? Some games I don't see the problem with. The problem also ended up going away in one session I was running, but I have no clue yet what I might have done to temporarily fix it. None of the new v-sync settings in 19.2's general settings fixes it.

The issue breaks game immersion and can be quite distracting.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Full screen games revealing desktop pixels along bottom and right edges of screen in Cinnamon on Mint 19.2

Post by smurphos » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:02 am

It's been reported - https://github.com/linuxmint/muffin/issues/530

I get in occasionally as-well - Intel Integrated graphics.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Full screen games revealing desktop pixels along bottom and right edges of screen in Cinnamon on Mint 19.2

Post by Yfrwlf » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:20 am

Thanks! I'd post there but I cancelled my Github account due to the Microsoft acquisition.

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:16 pm

I experience this with one installed game only and use this workaround:

Exit full-screen mode, then use the maximise (+) symbol on the window borders (- + x) and resume full-screen mode.

Alas, all that is gone after closing the program.

Using nvidia driver 390.129.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - 64bit

tb87670
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tb87670 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:45 am

Same problem. Using an EVGA 1060GTX with Nvidia Driver version 430.26 on LinuxMint 19.2 with Cinnamon desktop. Border showing the desktop behind it on the bottom and right side of screen in certain full-screen games. Tried messing with every setting possible, nothing works. It happens in some games like XCOM2 on Steam and yet Tropico 5 is fine. Seems random, Tannenberg I had to mess with some options and it's fine but other games don't have many options like the stuff from Feral Interactive. Glad I'm not only one with this problem, google/bing are not your friends when trying to look this up.

Curious if this happens on MATE desktop. If not I'm willing to reformat to get rid of this problem.

EDIT: Just installed LinuxMint 19.2 MATE and do not have this problem anymore. Can confirm this is specifically an issue with Cinnamon and recommend any Linux gamers to switch to MATE if this issue is affecting you. I recommend a clean install of LM19.2 MATE because lots small issues can crop up installing MATE over Cinnamon.

Intrinsic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Intrinsic » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:13 pm

Running Mint 19.2 Cinnamon I have this same issue: When running a full screen game a small amount of the wallpaper can be seen at the bottom of the screen and sometimes on the right hand side of the screen as well.

Game this issue can be seen in: Enter the Gungeon (and others, but i thought I'd provide one clear example for testing)

The issue was seen with Kernels 4.15 and 5.0. The issue was seen on two different computers. One desktop which was running an AMD RX 570, and the other was a laptop with an Nvidia M460 in it. With the nvidia card, when running the proprietary drivers supplied by the driver manager, if you minimize and maximize the game window the issues sometimes goes away (for that instance of the game). For the AMD card using the kernel driver and padoka stable mesa this trick doesn't work and I set a black desktop background as a work around.

I don't plan to change to a different DE (I really like Cinnamon), so I hope this issue gets resolved.

tb87670
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tb87670 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:58 pm

Intrinsic wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:13 pm
I don't plan to change to a different DE (I really like Cinnamon), so I hope this issue gets resolved.
I felt the exact same way but was going nuts from the screen border bug. Since I was only a few days into trying LM19.2 I didn't lose much and went ahead with the re-format to 19.2 MATE. If you are already situated/comfy in your OS and don't game often then I wouldn't bother switching. As for preferences, I really don't see MUCH real difference between MATE and Cinnamon other than Cinnamon seems to look a smidge better. Both are very close appearance-wise to me if you set MATE to the dark theme that comes with it.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:11 am

In Cinnamon open the Effects GUI.

Try either disabling Windows effects or switching Effects Style from Cinnamon to another choice. For example i can't reproduce the issue with the Effects style set to Scale.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:36 am

smurphos wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:11 am
In Cinnamon open the Effects GUI.

Try either disabling Windows effects or switching Effects Style from Cinnamon to another choice. For example i can't reproduce the issue with the Effects style set to Scale.
Thanks smurphos! I can confirm that all of the "Effects style" options fix this bug for me in Mint 19.2 except for the following options:

Cinnamon (the default, hence this bug report)
Fade
Blend

These three options still give me the bug, but any of the other ones act as a workaround for this bug!

I'd report it on the github but, again, Microsoft! :P

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:00 am

No worries, that's helpful info. Anything that can help narrow down the common factor will help refine the bug report and make it easy for the devs to reproduce and hopefully fix.

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:05 am

smurphos wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:00 am
No worries, that's helpful info. Anything that can help narrow down the common factor will help refine the bug report and make it easy for the devs to reproduce and hopefully fix.
Yes, that's my intention. If there are any other ways I can help, let me know, and thanks so much for helping with this! Excellent job Linux Mint devs in general, keep it up! *donate donate donate* :D

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:32 am

I get the same as you so I'll update the bug report. I've tried to narrow down by enabling the Customise option, and tweaking various options, but can't seem to narrow it down to one specific setting. Recreating Scale as Cinnamon does fix the issue though.

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:07 pm

smurphos wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:32 am
I get the same as you so I'll update the bug report. I've tried to narrow down by enabling the Customise option, and tweaking various options, but can't seem to narrow it down to one specific setting. Recreating Scale as Cinnamon does fix the issue though.
So you mean even when setting custom settings to the same thing that the "Cinnamon" master setting is doing, you don't get the bug? Maybe there is some erroneous setting in the Cinnamon master setting which needs to just be reset then. Maybe it's some setting from the old Muffin version which when carried over to the new Muffin version becomes invalid somehow, and some/all of the master settings just need to be re-created with the new Muffin version.

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:25 pm

Found a second bug with Effects.

In System Settings > Themes, you click on any of the five sections and a window pops up with the available options normally. But, in System Settings > Effects you change "Effects style" to "Fly down, up", it will make it so the window that pops up in Themes immediately disappears visually even though it's actually still there (click in the area and you'll still change your theme settings). But if you choose "Fly up, down" instead, or most/all other options, then the Theme pop-up window will work normally again.

So yeah, something really strange going on with the Effects settings!

I don't know if this particular bug has been reported yet or not.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:45 pm

Yfrwlf wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:07 pm
smurphos wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:32 am
So you mean even when setting custom settings to the same thing that the "Cinnamon" master setting is doing, you don't get the bug?
Other way round, but I'll give that a try and see what happens.
Yfrwlf wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:25 pm
But, in System Settings > Effects you change "Effects style" to "Fly down, up", it will make it so the window that pops up in Themes immediately disappears visually even though it's actually still there (click in the area and you'll still change your theme settings).
I can reproduce that one as-well. I suspect very few users ever mess around with these settings so I'd be surprised if had been reported before.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:24 am

The full screen issue is narrowed down to the Mapping Windows sub effect - it occurs when that is set to Traditional, Fade or Blend.

Pretty much all menus are b**ggered with Fly down, up - https://github.com/linuxmint/muffin/issues/537

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:27 am

Nice bug report, thanks! :D

I wonder if they'll push out a fix for them in 19.2 or wait for 19.3.

artifice
Level 1
Level 1

Post by artifice » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:42 pm

I can report the same issue in Focuswriter 1.6.12 from the repo when using blend effect.

Return to “Cinnamon”