Cinnamon Desktop does not always respond to touchscreen

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
retiredipcop
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon Desktop does not always respond to touchscreen

Post by retiredipcop » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:25 pm

Using the touchscreen of my ASUS T101A 2-in-1 laptop, some controls apparently do not respond to touches in cinnamon. This behavior while in the menu varies, sometimes working but most times not.

My environment:

Devuan 2.0 ("Ascii")
Cinnamon 3.2.7
Xorg 1.19.2

For the most part, touchscreen actions work, and overall, I am pleased with the behavior of Cinnamon. However, I find that when I open the main menu from the panel -- either by using the touchpad OR the touchscreen to open that menu -- sometimes (and I emphasize here, sometimes) the individual controls do not respond to touches (but touchpad works fine).

As an example, if I touch the category "Internet," I do not get an updated list on the right, which I normally do get if I am using the touchpad. If touch the input box and then type (using, say, one of the virtual keyboards) into the input box, the characters will appear in a terminal window below behind the transparency of the popup menu.

I wondered if this problem might have something to do with the opacity, so I tried this test using the BlueMenta theme, which does not use transparency. Still, the behavior remains the same, the touchscreen behaving as if the inputs are intended for the underlying windows rather than the menu.

Again, nearly every other aspect of the desktop seems to be working as expected (including the virtual keyboard), the menu being the one sticking point I have encountered so far.

I have implemented screen rotation by a custom hot-button on my panel that calls a script to rotate both the screen orientation and the touchscreen orientation. The automatic rotation feature does not work on this machine in my configuration. However, my hot-button/script does work correctly. I think this is due lack of support for the full iio library/toolset in Devuan Ascii.

I have not yet tried using a mouse for comparison. Since Cinnamon appears to be supported via Linux Mint's forum, I am posting this problem here.

I would be happy to provide more information about my configuration if that will help to resolve this issue. Thank you for your assistance.
Last edited by retiredipcop on Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Cinnamon Desktop does not always respond to touchscreen

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:56 am

I'm not up on touch screens, but I do know there's a lot of "Ubuntu Touch" stuff available in Package Manager you can take a look through.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

ColdBootII
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ColdBootII » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:36 am

I think, Devuan forum is a better place to get an answer. There could be a difference in driver versions used by Devuan causing the issue. Try Mint, if possible, to see if it persists.

Edit: specifically Mint 18.1. It comes with Cinnamon 3.2.7

wind_rose_2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wind_rose_2 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:57 pm

I find my touchscreen (Lenovo Yoga2) works fine while using Google Chrome but only has some functions while using Firefox.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:01 am

wind_rose_2 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:57 pm
I find my touchscreen (Lenovo Yoga2) works fine while using Google Chrome but only has some functions while using Firefox.
You mean the OS, or just the browser under Linux?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

wind_rose_2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wind_rose_2 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:36 am

the browser...using the firefox browser while on this forum and touchscreen will not scroll using finger or touchpad, l am able to highlite text though with finger and touchpad. Have to use arrow up or down to scroll.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:49 am

Maybe should contact mozilla firefox, sounds like it might be their problem.

retiredipcop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by retiredipcop » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:10 pm

Sorry, my machine is a T101A (or AH, not sure). I corrected that in my original post.

Return to “Cinnamon”