nemo/nautilus permissions dialog - is it possible to restrict dropdowns to only non-service users/groups?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
zpangwin
Level 1
Level 1

nemo/nautilus permissions dialog - is it possible to restrict dropdowns to only non-service users/groups?

Post by zpangwin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:06 pm

TL;DR - Looking to make the ownership dialog/GUI in nemo more user-friendly. Is it possible to somehow restrict the users/groups that appear in this list? Or make keypresses jump to first user/group starting with that letter? If not, any alternate file managers that provide this?

When I open nemo as root > right-click on a folder > properties > permissions tab, there are a TON of users and groups that appear in the dropdowns despite the fact that I have only created a small number of users and groups on my system. I currently have 5 users I have created but 50 users appear in the dropdown; likewise I have 3 custom groups (8 if you count the ones named after users) but there are 84 groups in that dropdown.

Besides root, I have literally NEVER selected anything but non-service users / groups from this dialog and don't think that is likely to change.

Is there any way I can restrict the dialog to only show root + non-service users / groups so that I can quickly select relevant things from the drop-downs instead of having to search through a huge list?

If not, what about enabling better keyboard support so that I could do things like if the user "abc" is currently selected, I could click on the dropdown and press "r" to change the selection to the first user beginning with an "r"?

If none of this is possible in nemo, can anybody recommend another GUI file manager that offers these features?

zpangwin
Level 1
Level 1

Re: nemo/nautilus permissions dialog - is it possible to restrict dropdowns to only non-service users/groups?

Post by zpangwin » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:44 pm

Just in case anyone else is interested in this... I did eventually work out a convoluted but successful way of managing this.

I'll probably eventually update this if I get around to putting it into a github/gitlab repo at some point but for now here's a workaround using a couple of bash scripts, a policykit exception, a nemo action, and yad to generate a very basic UI:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1180983/nautilus-nemo-other-file-manager-suggestions-for-more-accessible-gui-based-own

Return to “Cinnamon”