What's the expected dual-screen behaviour after coming out of the screensaver in Mint 19.2 Cinnamon? [SOLVED]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
ianozsvald
Level 1
Level 1

What's the expected dual-screen behaviour after coming out of the screensaver in Mint 19.2 Cinnamon? [SOLVED]

Post by ianozsvald »

I have a dual-screen Dell 9550 (laptop screen + Samsung monitor). After coming out of screensaver I get a behaviour that I think is odd - all of my apps are moved to the laptop (primary) screen and the external monitor's screen is empty. I have to drag most of my windows back up to the main monitor.

Is this is behaviour that others have? When the screensaver is quit do your apps stay spread across both screens as you'd left them?

I'll note that if I suspend (not screensaver) then the apps are preserved across both monitors. They only get moved after the screensaver has exited.

I'm using Cinnamon 4.2.3 on Mint 19.2 with Intel nouveau on Kernel 5.2.6.

This is an extension of my existing question on the Graphics/Monitors board viewtopic.php?f=59&t=304626&p=1711300#p1711300 (but I have no replies there, so I'm trying an easier question here).
Last edited by ianozsvald on Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Re: What's the expected dual-screen behaviour after coming out of the screensaver in Mint 19.2 Cinnamon?

Post by lsemmens »

I can't say for certain but I'm wondering if it could be some power saving setting on your laptop that is turning off the external monitor. If it does not detect the other monitor, it then thinks "oh! external monitor is unplugged" and tries to be helpful and moves everything to the lappy screen.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: What's the expected dual-screen behaviour after coming out of the screensaver in Mint 19.2 Cinnamon?

Post by catweazel »

ianozsvald wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:09 am
I have a dual-screen Dell 9550 (laptop screen + Samsung monitor). After coming out of screensaver I get a behaviour that I think is odd - all of my apps are moved to the laptop (primary) screen and the external monitor's screen is empty. I have to drag most of my windows back up to the main monitor.

I'll note that if I suspend (not screensaver) then the apps are preserved across both monitors. They only get moved after the screensaver has exited.
The behaviour you describe is symptomatic of the display being physically turned off. This should not happen if the monitor correctly supports DPMS. You might take a look in the power management settings and disable the turn off function as an experiment, leaving you with a permanent screen saver. More cannot be said because you didn't tell us the model number of the monitor.
ianozsvald wrote:This is an extension of my existing question on the Graphics/Monitors board viewtopic.php?f=59&t=304626&p=1711300#p1711300 (but I have no replies there, so I'm trying an easier question here).
The likely reasons for that are threefold. A) Three walls of text to wade through, B) You kept replying to yourself, and C) You are not using a stock kernel.

A) is a problem because we have lives outside of the forums, and we will always ask for the information that we need. It's better just to post your inxi output and wrap it in code markers.

B) is a problem because we have lives outside of the forums, and will usually skip threads that have replies on the assumption that the person who started the thread is getting assistance. Only occasionally will we drop into other threads if the title appeals to our areas of expertise.

C) is a problem because we have lives outside of the forums, and will usually skip threads where a non-stock kernel is installed because when you use a non-stock kernel, it greatly increases the complexity, and also because you are expected to be able to sort out any issues yourself.

They aren't criticisms, btw. Just learning moments. You might also try a stock kernel.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

ianozsvald
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ianozsvald »

Hello @catweazel and @lsemmens - thanks both for your replies.

Apologies for not following the forum norms, I've thankfully rarely had a need to post here (my time is contributed to open source in other domains).

The DPMS note is interesting, I'll investigate and report back. The non-stock kernel was due to unrelated issues that have been solved for a while, going back to a stock kernel is an easy test.

Many thanks, I'll follow-up. Ian.

ianozsvald
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ianozsvald »

Hello again. Disabling DPMS does stop the problem each boot:

Code: Select all

$ xset q
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On
$ xset -dpms
$ xset q
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
  DPMS is Disabled
The monitor is a Samsung LU28E590DS. With a recent Macbook Air if I use the same USB C -> DP cable on the same monitor then the Mac sleeps the Samsung monitor and upon wakening the windows correctly display on both the Macbook's screen and the Samsung. I don't have a 3rd machine to try on this monitor.

I have also tried HDMI->HDMI with DPMS enabled and I get the same problem, so I don't think DisplayPort (or HDMI) is the problem.

My kernel is now "5.3.0-23-generic", this was automatically updated by Mint Updates, I'm guessing this is the stock kernel now? If not, please suggest another and I'll try that. The "all apps moves to the laptop main screen after sleep if DPMS is enabled" behaviour is true today using this 5.3.0 kernel. I'm still using nouveau (not NVIDIA).

Regards, Ian.

Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kendoori »

@ianozsvald I have a very similar problem, as noted here: viewtopic.php?f=208&t=307040

Did you ever resolve?

I just updated to 19.3 and hoped that it might remedy this, but to no avail. It seems that you too are also using USB-C (in my case Thunderbolt) to DP. I have not tried this with HDMI, but that maybe a worthwhile experiment, even though I can get as high screen resolution that way.

My workaround for handling this is that I used ArandR and created a script that I bind to a keyboard shortcut that flips primary/secondary and puts everything back the way I want.

xrandr --output HDMI-2 --off --output HDMI-1 --off --output DP-1 --primary --mode 2560x1440 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output eDP-1 --mode 1600x900 --pos 2560x0 --rotate normal --output DP-2 --off

ianozsvald
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ianozsvald »

Sadly I do not have a permanent solution. I use

xset -dpms
as noted above to disable screen sleeps. I'm now on kernel 5.3.0.24 (which I believe is mainline for Mint now), still on Mint 19.2.

Can you describe what happens with DPMS enabled after you wake the machine when you have 2 screens? You say that the laptop screen becomes primary - does that mean that all of your windows from the monitor screen have shifted to the laptop screen? If so, that's also my behaviour.

Is this a new behaviour? I was doing screen-mirroring for a while (possibly a year) and then when I switched 4+ months ago to using 2 screens I realised that this was a problem, so I don't know if it used to do this (>1 year ago). I've been using Mint for 8 years in total, and 2+ years on this laptop, but I've only seriously used a dual-screen non-mirrored configuration in the last 4 months.

Thanks for sharing the keyboard shortcut!

Cheers, Ian.

Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kendoori »

@ianozsvald I came across a potentially useful fix. So far it seems to be working for me.

It involves using Autorandr

What is special about Autorandr is that it allows you to create profiles for different conditions that are responsive. I had used this previously to properly detect whether I was docked or not. I reached out to the developers and posted the following query.

I made the tweak he suggested, and created the autostart entry as suggested. When I come out of the lock screen/screensaver this gets executed and forces my desktop to get back to the default detected state, which in my case preserves primary/secondary as intended.

I have had this cooking for 24 hours and so far so good.

ianozsvald
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ianozsvald »

I have a "solution" but I don't know if this is just chance. I didn't find a solution just using the i915 driver. I then switched to the NVIDIA driver and had different behaviour - the two monitors kept their windows during powersave (yay!) but I seemed to have higher power drain.

I've settled for several weeks with the NVIDIA management interface, the Intel (i915) driver and a second screen via the USB C cable and it "all seems to work fine". I'm currently using kernel 5.3.0-46, Mint 19.3 and Cinnamon 4.4.8.

I'll note that if experimenting with the NVIDIA management interface it says you only need a logout to switch from the NVIDIA GPU to the Intel GPU but I found weird behaviour (e.g. suspend issues) when doing this, rebooting when switching GPU removed these issues.

Return to “Cinnamon”