Typical annoying bug with NEMO

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
macbeto
Level 3
Level 3

Typical annoying bug with NEMO

Post by macbeto »

Hi,
I have reading a lot about this issue but I didn't find a solution still, even in Linux Mint 19.2.
I have external hard drives (formatted as hfs+) to be shared between a Mac laptop and another Linux Mint laptop.
Those external drives were formatted in the past at the Mac laptop so the user owner were the one at Mac's. When I moved folders to the external drives from the Linux Mint at some point it become read-only drive. It it super annoying.
I tryed to change the owner of the hard drives at Mac, but as the linux user wasn't created in Mac it only allows me to provide full permission to everyone with chmod 777 -R /devicepath.
Yesterday I formatted those 2 of the devices to hfs+ at Linux Mint laptop with Gparted, to get the original owner of the drives in Linux Mint, but moving data from another external drives still as Mac's owner to the one just formatted in Lunux, it become again read-only device.
I swear it makes no sense for me, the onwer of the drive is the Linux user, so it gets full permissions but whatever I do I still get the only-read message.
I tryed the sudo dosfsck -a command to clean the filesystem of the external drive, and ever I deleted the ~/.local/shared/gvfs-metadata folder with no success.
Really it makes no sense, and I believe the issue is deeper than nemo app because I even can't create any file at the external drive with a touch.
I don't understand how this big and stopper issue is still not solved at Linux Mint, because this is something not only related to hfs+ format, I believe happens whatever the format is.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Tipical annoying bug with NEMO

Post by absque fenestris »

Hi macbeto
The problem is with the Mac, respectively with the hard disks formatted with HFS+. In macOS Journaling is preset and makes sense in macOS.
However, this Journaling doesn't work very well with Linux - sooner or later permission problems occur.
One solution is the hard disk utility of macOS: turn off Journaling for the external HFS+ disks in the settings.
This should stop the permission problems.

http://www.macintosh-data-recovery.com/ ... ournaling/ Please read this blog. My information refers to Mac systems when they were called OSX...
macbeto
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Tipical annoying bug with NEMO

Post by macbeto »

Thank you absque fenestris for the quick answer.
I also forgot to tell that I disabled time ago the journaling tobthe disks at Mac.
I believe Linux has a real problem with it, there is plenty of topics talking about loosing the writting permissions even being the user owner of the usb disk.
But in my case I formatted the disk in Linux, so my user is the owner of it. It makes no sense to me that I have now to go to the Mac laptop to make a chmod 777 disk just to gain the writting permissions in Linux (for a while until suddently my writting permissions will be removed again)
macbeto
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Typical annoying bug with NEMO

Post by macbeto »

At the end I used this command to regain writting permissions:
Sudo fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda1
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Hi macbeto
I have been using Mac and Linux in parallel for about 10 years. A lot of external hard disks of different sizes and ages have accumulated. They are all formatted with HFS+ including journaling and - except one - connected via FireWire 400 or 800.
Guess which one I had problems with?
Exactly the only one connected via USB 2.0. This fits to several USB 2.0 scanners that have driven me crazy under OSX.
macbeto
Level 3
Level 3

Post by macbeto »

Lucky you.
i have been more than 10 years with Mac and one with Linux, and the issue with the read-only permissions has been a pain in the ass during this year. Has been countless times to carry all my external drives to the office just to return the writting permissions to Linux. At the end I decided to format then in Linux to be the user owner. Mac doesnt care about owners, always can write in them. i always have those issues at linux side, never at Mac's.
At least now I have a workaround to solve it without going where I have my Mac.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I don't see what any of this thread has got to do with Nemo?

Anyway, see my post here: viewtopic.php?p=1566922#p1566922. It's about NTFS but it's the same for HFS.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

gm10 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:41 pm I don't see what any of this thread has got to do with Nemo?

Anyway, see my post here: viewtopic.php?p=1566922#p1566922. It's about NTFS but it's the same for HFS.

Under Linux Mint Cinnamon, Nemo will be the suspect if something goes wrong when exchanging data with another system - just like Caja, Nautilus, Dolphin could be, or on the Mac the Finder.

Find a manual that describes the correct data exchange and repair of permissions between Mac and Linux, respectively between Ext 3/4 and HFS+ : Linuxii there are many, therefore many advices and from Apple's point of view you don't even have to search... probably because all NeXT developers at Apple died of iphonitis... :mrgreen:

It's strange that the Unix descendants don't get along with each other - but you hate each other best in the closer relationship.

By the way @ gm10: would you have a suggestion for a Windows data browser with a reasonable tree view? The Explorer... Well - And where is the RTFM ? It was your mention that now I know what it means :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Cinnamon”