[SOLVED] How to change clock applet in cinnamon taskbar to look like xfce clock in digital style?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
palbertsma
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How to change clock applet in cinnamon taskbar to look like xfce clock in digital style?

Post by palbertsma »

Hi all,

I want to change the look of my cinnamon clock applet "Calendar" (calendar@cinnamon.org) to look like the xfce clock in the xfce-panel, in the style of "digital" view. The cinnamon applet lacks of customizing it: it can only be altered in the way the date and time are composed, but not in the size of the font. The normal font is so small: it is difficult to see the date and time in a glance, as it is possible with the xfce clock in the xfce-panel, chosen for the digital-view.

I use the modern desktop layout.

If possible it would also be very nice not only to change the font size, but also to change the font color.

Is there a way to do it?

Many thanks for reading and trying to find solutions!

Greetz, palbertsma
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: How to change clock applet in cinnamon taskbar to look like xfce clock in digital style?

Post by smurphos »

If you are on Cinnamon 4.4 in Mint 19.3, panel font sizes can be adjusted from the panel settings. Right click on the panel > Panel settings

The other font characteristics (including colour) are set by your choice of Cinnamon Desktop theme (Menu > Preferences > Theme). Themes are plain text .css files so can be edited if you want to go that far. We'd need to know which them you are using to give further guidance.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
palbertsma
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to change clock applet in cinnamon taskbar to look like xfce clock in digital style?

Post by palbertsma »

Hi smurphos,

Thank you for the solution: it worked!

But I discovered that all items in my taskbar are in the right zone, so all of them change in the same way, in casu all fonts are increased! Is it possible to move some existing items (that all are in the right zone) into another zone, e.g. the centre or left zone? I tried by dragging them, but as no other zone but the right one is present, this is not possible.

Thanks again for helping!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Right click on the panel and check panel edit mode. The panel should now show the Left, Centre and Right Zone as coloured areas. You can then drag and drop applets into the different zones. They expand as you add applets to them. Once done rearranging right click on the panel again and uncheck panel edit mode.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
palbertsma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by palbertsma »

Hi smurphos,

Great: it works!

I noticed that the colors of the Zones only differ slightly: it is difficult to discriminate them.

Another thing is important to know: I had to put off the transparency of the panel in the Extensions. Otherwise no colors appear in the different Zones in the panel edit mode.

Anyway: because of bringing the solution, I will mark this thread as SOLVED.

Again: Thanks again, smurphos, for your answers: I am :D !
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

palbertsma wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:47 am I noticed that the colors of the Zones only differ slightly: it is difficult to discriminate them.

Another thing is important to know: I had to put off the transparency of the panel in the Extensions. Otherwise no colors appear in the different Zones in the panel edit mode.
You are welcome - how the colors look in panel edit mode is a function of the Cinnamon Desktop theme - e.g in my Cinnamox themes they are quite strong.

Might be worth making a bug report to the author of the Transparent Panels extension about it breaking panel edit mode here - https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-s ... ons/issues
palbertsma
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] How to change clock applet in cinnamon taskbar to look like xfce clock in digital style?

Post by palbertsma »

The colors depend on different themes. I noticed that the extension Transparent Panels is subordinate to the chosen theme, so we cannot blame the maker of it. It is a matter of choosing another theme.

But your colors really discriminate! Which Cinnamox theme do you use? And how can you place the date on top of the time? I like this: this is almost as good as in the KDE panel!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: [SOLVED] How to change clock applet in cinnamon taskbar to look like xfce clock in digital style?

Post by smurphos »

I use Cinnamox-Rhino as my daily driver.

It's definitely a extension issue if the extension breaks display of panel edit mode - I'm sure it's technically feasible for the extension to 'disable' itself in panel edit mode as it does when there is a maximised window as per the other thread you've posted in.

The two line clock is via a custom date format. You may need to play with the spacing in themes other than Cinnamox - the theme is set to centre the lines in the display,

palbertsma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by palbertsma »

Thanks again: I managed to compose the clock to my liking. Your hints worked flawlessly!

I will make a bug report later on.

Nice to have you around here: you make my day! :wink:
palbertsma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by palbertsma »

I made a request directly on the page of the author of Transparent panels (transparent-panels@germanfr): https://github.com/germanfr/cinnamon-tr ... /issues/37.

Hopefully this will be improved.

Return to “Cinnamon”