File transfer hangs for a long time before finishing

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nostromo

Re: File transfer hangs for a long time before finishing

Post by nostromo »

(Running 19.3 Mate edition) I've also been plagued with blazing fast transfer speeds that come to a crawl at the end...and some that may never finish....Im in the process of trying to use Xfe but it doesnt see my other Drives/Partitions even though they are mounted,...I need to be able to transfer files from my 645GB mounted drive to USB,...How can I get Xfe to see my drive? If it can not, What file manager do you recommend that can?...Thx in advance.
Attachments
Screenshot at 2021-01-23 19-30-30.png
Screenshot at 2021-01-23 19-16-54.png
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

nostromo wrote: Im in the process of trying to use Xfe but it doesnt see my other Drives/Partitions even though they are mounted,...
If they're indeed mounted, then I'd imagine you could see them via your /media directory.

e.g., /media/your_user_name/some-long-uuid-string
nostromo

Post by nostromo »

Thank you JoeFootball!...Thats where it was...in the media directory...Some time today Im going to test transfer speed,Thanks again.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

And if your other drives/partitions are mounting as /media/your_user_name/some-long-uuid-string, put a label on the partition using gparted or disks, it will then mount as /media/your_user_name/mylabel = more user friendly.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
nostromo

Post by nostromo »

Thanks for all the help,...But Xfe is performing as bad or maybe worse than Caja.....at least for me,and this machine..transfering files from mounted drives.
The first file copies fast while after that it sits there like its trying to copy more....I end up cancelling it and even then its really slow to respond to shutting down,...Thanks again for input.
leandrocfg

Post by leandrocfg »

Having the same issue since mint 18.3, now using 20.1 seems incredible that this bug keep there.
Actually is frustrating to be a linux user for many years and have to admit that: I have been using windows more and more to solve things, from stupid ones - like transfer files or using a second screen because HDMI same days works and others just not - to more complicated ones like programming because pip also doesn't work. Sometimes, what should be just a simple prompt line command takes hours and hours of workaround just to prepare environment to star work...
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

leandrocfg wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:50 am Having the same issue since mint 18.3, now using 20.1 seems incredible that this bug keep there.
Actually is frustrating to be a linux user for many years and have to admit that: I have been using windows more and more to solve things, from stupid ones - like transfer files or using a second screen because HDMI same days works and others just not - to more complicated ones like programming because pip also doesn't work. Sometimes, what should be just a simple prompt line command takes hours and hours of workaround just to prepare environment to star work...
I had one occassion where Mint 19.3 Cinnamon failed at this task.

I was trying to copy 500 gBytes of music files from my source USB drive, to a friend's blank & new USB drive.
NEMO crapped out after a few folders, did not make any notes, I was just pissed at the time, I had to make 3 of these things for friends at a weekend outing, and I could not have a failure.... it would blow my Halo out of the sky with them. :roll:

So, being somewhat lucky that time, I powered this laptop off, went to BIOS, and started up Win10 which copied every thing in one fell swoop without complaint.

Why did NEMO fail me?
was it because I was copying from USB (a) to USB ( b ), or simply that it just choked up trying to handle 500gB of files.

the disks were all different, so I could not use an Image copy, these guys needed to read the music with their MP3 players.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Please define 'crapped out'. Maybe your progress bar does not work like mine, but the files are being copied??

I copy (actually move) about 250 zip files that are about 50 MB each from one computer to another over a LAN every day. I get a nice progress bar that gives progress throughout the copy. The copy takes about 20 minutes or so.

I also copy 15,000 to 35,000 very small text files from one partition (and drive) to another partition (and drive) on the same computer. That one only takes about 10-20 seconds.

And at times I synchronize with FreeFileSync from my computer to an attached USB drive. I never have any problems with any of these - essentially never. I am on LM19.3.

Here is a short video of the large zip file copy.
http://www.mflan.com/temp/copyfiles.mp4
You probably need to save that file to your disk to run it.

Again, I NEVER have a problem, even with USB drives. Not even once a year.

I know this is a hard issue to discuss on this forum, but I suggest you start a new topic and work on this issue if you are really having a problem with this.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

I have the same problem on LM 18 - 20.1 Mate. I have been looking for a solution for a long time. I tried many Windows programs under wine, but the problem continued.
From some time I have been find and using the MiniCopier-0.5. Works great. The only downside is that you have to create a folder on the flash drive in advance and drag it to the shopping cart.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

mikeflan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:27 pm
I also copy 15,000 to 35,000 very small text files from one partition (and drive) to another partition (and drive) on the same computer. That one only takes about 10-20 seconds.

And at times I synchronize with FreeFileSync from my computer to an attached USB drive. I never have any problems with any of these - essentially never. I am on LM19.3.

Here is a short video of the large zip file copy.
http://www.mflan.com/temp/copyfiles.mp4
You probably need to save that file to your disk to run it.

Again, I NEVER have a problem, even with USB drives. Not even once a year.

I know this is a hard issue to discuss on this forum, but I suggest you start a new topic and work on this issue if you are really having a problem with this.
uh, hate to mention this, but you provided a link that exists only on your PC.... bad bad bad.
put it up on YouTube or Vimeo.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

AZgl1500 wrote: uh, hate to mention this, but you provided a link that exists only on your PC.... bad bad bad.
It works for me. :)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

JoeFootball wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:13 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: uh, hate to mention this, but you provided a link that exists only on your PC.... bad bad bad.
Didn't for me, got "file corrupt" message.

However, it is never a good thing to provide a link to your own PC.
it needs to be on a Server that is always up and running.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Sometimes it is necessary to save the mp4 files to your local machine and run them from there.
I haven't figured out why that is necessary for some of these files.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

JoeFootball wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:13 pm
Works for me as well.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

AZgl1500 wrote: However, it is never a good thing to provide a link to your own PC.
it needs to be on a Server that is always up and running.
How can you tell that domain is being hosted on a PC and not a server?
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

It is a server. A shared server. I think links to files on your local machine usually start with file:// . . .
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Please stop this unnecessary and stupid argument!
Mikeflan's address is working. Clicking triggers my download manager and downloads the file.
The video is 55 seconds and also works.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

diabolicbg wrote: Please stop this unnecessary and stupid argument!
Speaking for myself, I wasn't attempting to argue anything. I was asking a sincere question, as I certainly don't know the answer. :?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

mikeflan wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:48 am It is a server. A shared server. I think links to files on your local machine usually start with file:// . . .
Mike,
didn't mean to start up a hoorah with this.

I saw the /temp and "Assumed" that it was a local PC that can be shut down.

In my case, all I really needed to have said, was I got the message Cannot play, File corrupted.

dunno about 'other folks', but since I converted to Linux, I have a habit of using the shortcut keys Cntl-Alt-O which causes Terminal to shutdown now

I'm on Limited Bandwidth per month, and I don't like wasting any of it, if I am not using the PC/laptop.
and Laptops run a lot cooler when they are "shutdown" :mrgreen:

all this makes me want to just ignore errors that I find, and keep them to myself.
igmint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by igmint »

The second day use "PCManFM" (1.3.1)

file transfer does not hang.

(20.1 Mate)
translated by googlemachine. UTC+3:00

Return to “Cinnamon”